Price Going Up!!MUST READ!

Sheba

Lotto 6/49 Changing 11/26/03
Bigger jackpots and a greater chance of winning. Those are just a couple of the major changes that Lotto 6/49 will implement starting with the May 29th, 2004 draw. Atlantic Lottery Corporation spokesperson Robert Bourgeois says the price will also go up by one dollar, the first increase in their 22 year history. He says players have told them they want bigger jackpots, more often.

Sheba__:bouncy: :dog:~~~
--------------------------------------------------------

charles2

Sheba i think it's a BAD idea and less people will play, think about it, in the states a Powerball ticket is 50 cents =@ 70 cents cnd for HUGE jackpots !!!!!

Where do i email to complain and so NO !!!:dang:

Florie

That is really too bad. Will probably play not as often or switch to a more affordable one like the provincial.

Sheba

Going up to 2.00 per play instead of a 1.00 per play. And I agree with you Florie the provincial one would be a better one to play but here I can't pick my own numbers so maybe I will give the provincial one up or just play fewer lines on the super seven. I have been playing my 649 numbers for 20 + years and now it will cost me more so I guess the insta piks will be few and far between or just buy them when the jackpots gets really big!(instead of a few per draw) Hope this increase does not go over well..

Brad

The provincials will not be far behind with a price increase, just a hunch :crap:

Does someone have an email we can use for CN49 complaints?

Sheba

More INFO

Lotto 6/49 raising stakes 26.11.2003
Dillon McNuggets Gamble Tribune

Lotto 6/49 — the grande dame of Canada's national lotteries — is changing.
Starting next May, the lottery will offer bigger jackpots and a greater chance of winning something — but for twice the price.

The changes to the twice-weekly lottery are in response to consumer research that shows players want bigger jackpots more often.

"People are saying the bigger the jackpot, the better," said Jim Cronin, spokesperson for the Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation (OLGC).

"And they have told us they are willing to pay $2 to win," he said.

OLGC is a member of the Interprovincial Lottery Corporation, which represents all of Canada's five government-run lottery corporations.

Cronin says OLGC anticipates the regular jackpot will be $4 million or higher, and more than half of each year's jackpots will be $10 million or more.

The odds of winning a prize will improve to 32 to 1 from 54 to 1 with the introduction of a new $5 prize category.

Currently, players get $10 for matching three numbers of the six drawn.

After May 29, players who get two numbers plus the bonus number will win $5.

The $12 million Lotto 6/49 jackpot tonight is the first big one in awhile, Cronin said.

He dismissed the suggestion that bigger jackpots and more expensive tickets would encourage people to spend more than they can afford.

The Interprovincial Lottery Corp., representing Canada's five government-run lottery corporations, announced yesterday the ticket price will double to $2 and jackpots will be larger after the May 29 draw.

Jason Azmier, a senior analyst with the Canada West Foundation, a public policy research institute, said increased jackpots would make it more attractive.

"If you have $20-million jackpots or $10-million jackpots every week, or whatever the figure, it's going to be more attractive for people looking for an escape," he said.

"These are often low-income families. What we don't know is what are the social costs of gambling in this country."

He estimated revenue from lotteries across Canada amounted to $4.5 billion.

Lotto 6/49 is played throughout Canada and is drawn every Wednesday and Saturday. The lottery is played by choosing six numbers from one to 49 and has a minimum jackpot of $1 million that rolls over each time the lottery is not won. The first rollover guarantees a jackpot of $5 million and the second rollover guarantees a jackpot of $10 million.

The new Lotto 6/49 will still be based on matching six-of-49 numbers format but will offer larger jackpots, a new $5 prize category, and better overall odds of winning, the corporation said in a release.

Under the new Lotto 6/49 game, jackpots are expected to start around $4 million and grow to $10 million or more on about half of the draws annually. The jackpots are also expected to reach $25 million during the year.

The largest jackpot ever won in the 6/49 lottery was $26.4 million in September 1995, while the biggest jackpot in a Canadian lottery was awarded under the Super 7 in May 2002, when a record $37.8-million pot was split among four winning tickets from Quebec, British Columbia and Saskatchewan. The largest unclaimed jackpot in Canada was a 1989 Lotto 6/49 ticket worth $4.6 million.

One on-line lottery site compared major lotteries around the world and said Canada's 6/49 is among the most popular.

"Canadian Lotto 6/49 is one of the world's favorite tax-free lotto games, awarding up to $1 billion each year," said online betting site 14G.com.

"For years, Lotto 6/49 held the world record for the largest single tax-fee lump-sum jackpot," it said.

Over 65 per cent of Lotto 6/49 tickets are purchased in Ontario and Quebec. The Prairies and Territories account for 14 to 15 per cent of the sales on Lotto 6/49 and Super 7, said information on the Western Canada Lotteries Corp. Web site.

The ILC said the changes follow extensive consumer research across Canada that indicated players wanted bigger jackpots more often.

Azmier said while some people might be deterred by the higher price of the ticket, he expected revenues to increase.

"I'm sure they have done their research," he said.

Across Canada, all proceeds from Lotto 6/49 and other lottery games are returned to provincial governments and are used to support various public programs and services.

Sheba__:dog:

BRAD

Complaining won't help...but less money HURTS a lot....So just abandon 6/49 and keep encouraging ppl NOT TO PLAY 649.
I already emailed our Prov. Corp with some nasty language and got no answer as expected..

Sheba

The odds of winning a prize will improve to 32 to 1 from 54 to 1 with the introduction of a new $5 prize category.

Currently, players get $10 for matching three numbers of the six drawn.

After May 29, players who get two numbers plus the bonus number will win $5.

We can win with 2 + the Bonus...

Sheba__:dog:

NmbrsDude

peter said:
I'd like to know who decides these things?

It's all about marketing. From what I've read, they say that you will have better odds of winning with the changes they're going to make such as the new prize which will be $5 for matching 2 numbers + bonus. The problem is, the people who will think these changes are good are the ones who don't really understand the math behind the game. They see "better odds" and "bigger jackpots" as a good thing especially if it only costs an extra dollar! The better odds aren't real or matter very little since the payout is so small. It's the same reason Super7 is so popular; the odds are truly horrendous but people are driven by greed and as long as the jackpot is big, that's all they care about. It's not about the actual winnings for them but the potential winnings... even if they never come.

ND

:cool:

Beaker

:dang:

I'll only play 1/2 the tickets or once a week - no change here for the lotto budget :dang:

We'll see if those jackpots increase - I doubt they will. Looking at the last few years we are getting around 15 $10 million jackpots out of 104 draws/year. People are hitting this lotto on a regular basis.

We'll see how often this jackpot grows to over $10 mill :no: :rolleyes:

The key is how sensitive demand is at the new price. I think demand sensitivity is between 0.5 and 0.7 - still alot of tickets out there for the jackpot.

Sheba

You can get the email address to email the "Interprovincial Lottery Corp"
Here

Sheba

CANADA Lottery Jurisdiction Organisation

Atlantic- Atlantic Lottery Corp.
British Columbia - British Columbia Lottery Corp.
Quebec - Loto-Quebec
Manitoba - Manitoba Lottery Corporation
Ontario - Ontario Lottery Corp.
Western Canada - Western Canada lottery Corp.

Or maybe you can email your local lottery corp...

Sheba

Beaker said:
:dang:

<snip>
We'll see how often this jackpot grows to over $10 mill :no: :rolleyes:

I say it will grow bigger cause there will be less tickets bought compared to now @ 1.00 per play...
Like some people who would normally buy 10.00 worth now may just get 4 - 6.00 worth..

Beaker

Sheba said:
I say it will grow bigger cause there will be less tickets bought compared to now @ 1.00 per play...
Like some people who would normally buy 10.00 worth now may just get 4 - 6.00 worth..

I say we are very lucky people in this country - out of 104 draws/year you may see 30 $10 mill jackpots and maybe one near $20 mill :agree:

Big deal :rolling:

Look at S7 as an example. 4x the odds yet people win - you don't see that lotto going to $10 million that often.

This favours the jackpot hunters - people like you and me who play all the time will win less and hence have greater overall loss. :sick: assuming your budget doesn't change.

Last edited:

Sheba

My budget will probably change a bit....
I guess MG will have lots to say when he finds out! :lol:
Only one more thing they can now do is Tax US....

I warned you about some changes on the way for the various lotto draws in Canada before...At the time some :rolleyes: ridiculed my post about it....
Boooom! It is on your faces now!
Want to carry these protests signs in front of the lottery corporation buildings with me now??? :lol:

Last edited:

Sidebar