Price Going Up!!MUST READ!

skeet

ALC reply

I emailed Atlantic Lottery Corporation about the price increase, and let them know how I and other people felt on it.

This is a copy of the PFO email they sent back.

Extensive consumer research across Canada indicated players wanted bigger
> jackpots more often. We could not have offered this without making changes
> to the price of the ticket. The price of a LOTTO 6/49 ticket has not
> changed in 22 years. Please keep in mind that in addition to larger
> jackpots, the game will also offer a new prize category. You will win $5
> just by matching two of the six winning numbers plus the bonus number. The
> overall odds of winning a prize will also be better. The odds are
> currently 1 in 54. After the changes are implemented, the odds will be 1
> in 32.
>
> In addition to the changes being made to Lotto 6/49, Atlantic Lottery will
> also be offering Atlantic 6/49 as a separate game, meaning, customers will
> no longer have to purchase Lotto 6/49 in order to purchase Atlantic 6/49.
> With this flexibility, we felt this would offer our customers the option
> of continuing to purchase their tickets at the current cost with a smaller
> jackpot.
>
> Our games are meant to be a form of entertainment and our intention is
> that our customers play responsibly and have fun while they play our
> products.
>
> If you have additional comments or inquiries, please feel free to contact
> us.
>
> Customer Support Services
> Atlantic Lottery Corporation
> info@alc.ca
> 1-800-561-3942

Beaker

Sheba got the same response. Form email :agree:

We'll see how their sales go after 6 months. I predict no jackpot over $10,000,000. :no:

I'll say it again - S7 is the proof

Last edited:

Maggie

Concerning this research, I wish I had been included in this survey, whether by phone or mail. How do they research these things anyways and does demographics have anything to do with it? :confused:

peter

No one called me either, you would think they would have surveys at point of sale, like the lotto booth :dang:

Snides

I've got an idea

So I was thinking of a way to confuse the lottery corporation and show a form of complaint about the price increase. The day that the price goes up we should all get as many people as we can to go into their nearest (or several different) lotto centres to buy tickets, get a full slip worth, or even a few, 10 tickets, 100 tickets, whatever.. You have 30 minutes to cancel your tickets after they're printed out. Immediately after they're printed, tell them you want to cancel them all. Sure you may look like an idiot, but the cancelled tickets will be logged in the olgc's computers and they'll see a lot of tickets being rejected because of the increase in price. Maybe it would make more sense to do this with quick picks, cus you you look at them and say "these selections all suck, please cancel this ticket" :)

Idjit

"Sure you may look like an idiot, but the cancelled tickets will be logged in the olgc's computers and they'll see a lot of tickets being rejected because of the increase in price."

I'm sticking to my solution. I've simply decided to re-work my lotto choices. and that means no 6-49, only Western 6-49 and Super7 only when over 10 mil. Ya gotta have a plan, and that is mine. I will still have plenty of fun playing these games, and Lotto Corp can just suck it up.:p:

powerball

Re: ALC reply

The lottery corporations' claims are inaccurate. As detailed in Lotto 6/49 Statistical Analysis, the odds per $1 wager will actually worsen to 1 in 64. :heul: For every dollar you spend, there will only be a 1 in 64 chance of winning a prize, which is much worse than Lotto Super 7's 1 in 12 odds. :eek:

While it currently costs less than $14 million to buy every possible combination, it will cost $27,967,632 after the price increase! :bawl:

skeet said:
> The overall odds of winning a prize will also be better. The odds are currently 1 in 54. After the changes are implemented, the odds will be 1 in 32.

Last edited:

peter

Currently these are the calculated odds.
6/6=13,983,816
5/6+bonus= 2,330,636
5/6= 54,201
4/6=1032
3/6=57
overall odds are 1 in 54.

powerball

peter said:
5/6= 54,201

Where did you get the wrong 5/6 odds? The correct odds for matching 5/6 is 1 in 55,491.33. With the odds per $1 wager worsening, lottery consumers have the following options:

1) The lottery corporations hope that Canadian lottery players are truly stupid and will buy the same number of tickets as before or even more just because of the bigger jackpots. Players will end up spending at least twice as much money as before.

2) Players will spend the same amount per draw, but will buy half the 6/49 tickets as before. For example, if you buy two $1 tickets per draw now, you will just buy one $2 ticket per draw after May. In other words, 6/49 won't be making more money than before.

3) Players will revolt, cancelling their 6/49 tickets or switching to other games such as Super 7. Doubling the price may actually result in lower revenue for 6/49!

Which of the above wil YOU do?

Last edited:

peter

I stand by my fiqure of 5/6 =54,201, perhaps Dennis, Or Gilles being the Math experts will either confirm or correct my calculation.

hot4

peter said:
I stand by my fiqure of 5/6 =54,201, perhaps Dennis, Or Gilles being the Math experts will either confirm or correct my calculation.

And your calculation is correct Peter. I use to consult a lottocalculator and it states 54.200,84!! :agree: :agree:

powerball

I am a "math expert." :) There are 258 possibilities of matching 5 of 6 in 6/49. But you have to deduct the 6 possibilities of matching 5 AND the bonus. So you end up with 252 / 13,983,816 or 1 in 55,491.33333333.

Your "lottocalculator" did not take into account the bonus number for second prize.

hot4

powerball said:
I am a "math expert." :) There are 258 possibilities of matching 5 of 6 in 6/49. But you have to deduct the 6 possibilities of matching 5 AND the bonus. So you end up with 252 / 13,983,816 or 1 in 55,491.33333333.

Your "lottocalculator" did not take into account the bonus number for second prize.

If you win 5+B you don't win 5/6. They are exclusive.

powerball

hot4 said:
If you win 5+B you don't win 5/6. They are exclusive.

Exactly! That is why you have to subtract the 6 possibilities of winning the 2nd prize since you can't win the 3rd prize again.
1) 5/6 + bonus: 6 unique combinations that will win the 2nd prize, 1 in 2,330,636.
2) 5/6: 252 unique combinations that will win the 3rd prize, 1 in 55,491.33.

powerball said:

I don't see why you would get rid of the bonus ball in these odds calculations...Aren't 5 regular balls 5 regular balls???
There is 1 chance out of 13 983 816 to get 6 numbers
That is playing only one ticket
There is 1 chance out of 54 201 to get 5 numbers
There are 258 combinations of 5 numbers
There is 1 chance out of 1 032 to get 4 numbers
There are 13 545 combinaitons
There is 1 chance out of 57 to get 3 numbers
There are 246 820 combinaitons

Personnally....I don't care about that...I don't think that this help can help me improving your game....
Since I have already hit for 5 + bonus out of only 12 posted prior to a draw....Balls must be telling us something that odds calculations can't tell...
Sorry but I have no more time for this...I spotted something and I'm exploring it here...Post your pick!
All your calculations are irrelevant if you don't play...
:agree: :agree2:

Last edited:

GillesD

Possibilities for winning numbers

These are the numbers of combinations for a given draw for a total of 13,983,816:

0 winning number: 6,096,454 combinations
1 winning number: 5,775,588 combinations
2 winning numbers: 1,851,150 combinations
3 winning numbers: 246,820 combinations
4 winning numbers: 13,545 combinations
5 winning numbers: 258 combinations
6 winning numbers: 1 combination

In Excel, this can be calculated by the function COMBIN(43,6-WN)*COMBIN(6,6-WN) where WN is the number of winning numbers.

For 5 winning numbers, the 258 combinations include both 5 winning numbers and 5 winning numbers + the bonus number. Since there are 6 combinations for 5 winning numbers + the bonus number, this leaves 252 combinations for only 5 winning numbers (without the bonus numbers).

powerball

Re: Possibilities for winning numbers

GillesD said:
For 5 winning numbers, the 258 combinations include both 5 winning numbers and 5 winning numbers + the bonus number. Since there are 6 combinations for 5 winning numbers + the bonus number, this leaves 252 combinations for only 5 winning numbers (without the bonus numbers).

So do all the posters now understand the correct odds?
5+B, 1:2,330,636
5, 1:55,491.33
2+B, upcoming $5 prize category, 172,200 possibilities, 1:81.21
2, 1,678,950 possibilities, 1:8.33

Re: Re: Possibilities for winning numbers

powerball said:
So do all the posters now understand the correct odds?
5+B, 1:2,330,636
5, 1:55,491.33
2+B, upcoming $5 prize category, 172,200 possibilities, 1:81.21
2, 1,678,950 possibilities, 1:8.33

Is this your big discovery? :confused:
But This is only interpretations of numbers....From a mathematical point of view...5 regular balls are 5 regular balls..They are not 5 regular + bonus ball...
Now if you ask me about the odds of getting 5 regular balls...I don't even look at the bonus number...
Your numbers are O:K: but mine too...
We are comparing apples and oranges here..
I stand by what I posted!
:agree2:

peter

I think all of this was irrelevent, really, we are splitting hairs here.
what is more relevant is how to get 5 or 6 numbers. Stay tuned,
THUNDER BOLTS ARE ABOUT TO STRIKE!!!!

Sidebar