Major electrical Power Failure!!

Geenie

You lucky guys obviously had power before me. I was visiting my
folks in Loretto (outside of Orangeville) and still no power now!
To make things worse no water and telephone combined.

My hubby was stuck in T.O. and finally recieved gas after waiting
over 2 hours and to top it off had to pay over .85 cents a litre.
I don't think it is right to jack up prices for anything and take advantage of people in a time when everyone should be supporting each other. :agree:

Maggie

Just got power back on again, it went out just seconds after I posted my best bet.

We had one of those, too, in Mt. Brydges, outside of London, but he was kind enough to offer gas for 95 cents a litre. If I lived in that area, I would boycott the SOB. I don't know how people can take advantage of others like that and have no qualms at all about it. :dang:

Brad

Why are we in the dark ???

greed ? ... obscene profits ? ... all mighty buck ? :notme:

Don't upgrade that little ol' line/switching station 'cuz it's rarely used, not needed most of the time, it'll hold out ... better for the bottom line !! ...

Get rid of that old salt of an operator who's making 25/hr and replace with a young snot at 10/hr ... CEO wants a new BMW !! ...

Screw the warnings from experts ... don't fix if it ain't broke ... that'll cut into profits !! ...

Can't buy power from Quebec (see DB's posts) ... we'd have to admit defeat ... we'd look incompetent ... so what if that'll get the systems up and running in no time ?! ...

The public will suffer? No big deal ... we'll blame the politicians ... and if they can't come up with a plausible excuse and come after us to cover their a** we'll go bankrupt and disappear with our loot !! ...

Why did this happen in the first place? Is deregulation/privatization a safe bet ?

So why is this a problem for me? I fear the same is being done here in BC despite all the negative indicators elsewhere !!

that in a nutshell is my2cents :bawl:

ps. I'm waxing my Prospector canoe stocking up on Harvest freeze dried ... the only looters/gougers I have to worry about then are the furry ones with claws :lol: :lol:
... wish I could buy some instant beer tho (just add water) :chug:

Last edited:

Beaker

Re: Why are we in the dark ???

Brad said:

<true> <true> ... <true> ...
:lol: :lol:
... wish I could buy some instant beer tho (just add water) :chug:
It shouldn't of happened but did - too expensive to listen to the experts.
The unfortunate part of it is a few will be the scape goats - those who screamed the loudest but didn't do anything about it - those 25 year vets. :no:

Shame - friggin shame :dang:

Maggie

It's so frustrating, it really makes one wonder why this even happened in the first place. I don't know where Nick is in the city but since 12:45 this afternoon we have had power for 2 hrs. then down for 2 hrs, up again, down again. I have about 35 minutes left until it goes down again. And yet, my daughter who lives about 10 minutes away by car has had her power on all day. Makes no sense. :confused:

Brad

Re: Re: Why are we in the dark ???

Beaker said:
... <snip> ...
Shame - friggin shame :dang:
You know what is a real shame? The potential terrorists/crackpots don't need to be all that sophisticated 'cuz of our sorry state in these and other matters, we're leaving the door wide open with our butts exposed ... if they want to take an advantage of that all they need is a sling shot ... and there's not a damn thing we can do about it :dang: :sick: :dizzy:

Yeah !!! Why fix the power lines when we can pay thro our nose for the Missile Defence Shield program ? ... go Hawks go !!! :finger:

nuffced ... don't get me started ... Patriots are a piece of junk that never worked anyway :lol:

Last edited:

Florie

Power back on @1AM today but some traffic lights still not working. Left turns at the intersection are terrifying. You know how some Ontario drivers are. I had to line up for gas for over an hour where there is available. Some gas stations are still closed. Even big malls are closed, no ATM open where I live.

We just got the cable back. Rogers was down also we did not have any TV cable, internet and cell phones working at all. Grocery stores are crowded. This only happened one night. As I waited in line and looked around me I wonder if this could have gone for more than one night, say a few days. I don't want to imagine. I thought of Iraq and Afghanistan during and after the war.

Just my thoughts.

Florie said:
Power back on @1AM today but some traffic lights still not working. Left turns at the intersection are terrifying. You know how some Ontario drivers are. I had to line up for gas for over an hour where there is available. Some gas stations are still closed. Even big malls are closed, no ATM open where I live.

We just got the cable back. Rogers was down also we did not have any TV cable, internet and cell phones working at all. Grocery stores are crowded. This only happened one night. As I waited in line and looked around me I wonder if this could have gone for more than one night, say a few days. I don't want to imagine. I thought of Iraq and Afghanistan during and after the war.

Just my thoughts.
I hope everything will be O.K. and back to normal as soon as possible for you Florie...And all the people affected by this...
Québec has been ask to help...
http://www2.canoe.com/infos/national/archives/2003/08/20030815-143625.html
And they responded quickly this morning....It will help crucial sectors mostly...until they can fix it everywhere...
:agree:

Florie

Dennis Bassboss said:
I hope everything will be O.K. and back to normal as soon as possible for you Florie...And all the people affected by this...
Québec has been ask to help...
http://www2.canoe.com/infos/national/archives/2003/08/20030815-143625.html
And they responded quickly this morning....It will help crucial sectors mostly...until they can fix it everywhere...
:agree:

Thanks, Dennis. I hope so, too. Think Canada is experiencing minor crisis-with BC fire, mad cow, West Nile virus, SARS.

We must always try to conserve energy.

Godload

OMG a hot shower is just one of those creature comforts you cannot do without. First hot shower in 2 days. Electricity just came on like 90 min ago. Had to let the Hot water build up. I feel refreshed now.

Brad

Did you know ...

In order to save cost when controlling tree growth from reaching high tension lines, BC Hydro hires a helicopter carrying a guy with a shotgun ... who then proceeds to blast off the tops of offending trees or branches ?? :eek:

Recently that resulted in the rotor wash toppling a tree onto the lines ... which in turn ensued in a short, powercut, generation interrupt AND a forest fire ... you get the picture :dang:

Some bright light :idea: in the corporation is actually being paid to authorize this kind of manpower savings ... you will not read about this in the papers ppl :no: ...

be afwaid, be vewy vewy afwaid ... eheheheh ... I'ma gonna get that pesky bwanch .... twap twap twap twap ... the chopper and Elmer did not get hurt btw :clown:

Last edited:

Beaker

I think I saw a show on that once - fixing these transformer lines.

Some guy flys around in a helicopter and swings down to make repairs. Never thought about tree branches but I guess it's the best way.

You're right - bizarre :dizzy: some red-neck with a 12guage shooting tree branches outta a helicopter hehe. :gunfire: :xmas:

Welcome to the 21st century. :wow:

Maggie

I guess a bucket truck wouldn't reach that high and that would be the only way to do it. (until someone comes up with a better way)

Beaker

Maggie said:
I guess a bucket truck wouldn't reach that high and that would be the only way to do it. (until someone comes up with a better way)
Pretty hard to get a bucket truck up the side of a mountain. ;)

Beaker said:
I think I saw a show on that once - fixing these transformer lines.

Some guy flys around in a helicopter and swings down to make repairs. Never thought about tree branches but I guess it's the best way.

You're right - bizarre :dizzy: some red-neck with a 12guage shooting tree branches outta a helicopter hehe. :gunfire: :xmas:

Welcome to the 21st century. :wow:
One thing is sure...Lots of Happy triggers loves this way... :lol:

That New York mayor should give us some excuses...He accused us of being responsable for the blackout in the first place
(Like if a country could be blame for that... :rolleyes: )
The U.S.A. are having a totally disorganized third world country electrical system(except Texas they have the same system that Québec has)The politicians from Canada should raise their voices and ask for these excuses from him...That New York's mayor show his bad judgement by making these stupids and not founded declarations...

We all know that the source of the problem originated from south border of Canada(In Ohio near Cleveland)...wether he likes it or not but I won't be as stupid as he was blaming them for that... :dang:

Sidebar