Why does everyone post their picks??

Godload

Personally, I stumbled onto this board because there was question in my head that I needed answered. There are many such questions one may have, what is the meaning of life, what is my purpose, etc etc etc. My question was one based on Lotto, and if there was a way to play lotto to increase your chances to win and if it could be learned, so your skill could augment the intangible factor of luck. I was browsing various sites. The first one I read and found was Mr. Salui's. It was interesting and had alot of theory, but some of his discussions were over my head. He use theorems, and mathematics and discussed the idea of numbers popping up up within the last few past draws. It was all novel to me and interesting but it didn't solve the one question that needed answering. How does one pick numbers to increase your chances of picking the winning combination. I was after information. Useful practical information that I could learn without complex mathematical formula's and theories, as well as programming ability. I was lost for two weeks. People were posting numbers and what they thought was likely to come out using terms and definitions that were like Greek to me. I was also skeptical about whether you could actually pick numbers based on theories and strategies to improve your chances of winning. For two weeks I was like what the heck are they talking about. Then slowly, I learned something here, something there, was directed to various sites, and places where I could find answers. And I also witnessed Ben catch 6 numbers in his set of 18. I was impressed and amazed, and inspired. Then he described his method of choosing numbers, and what systems he used. I followed up and my learning curve went up.
Basically what I am saying is this, to me information and knowledge is the most important. Sure I glanced at the beginning and used peoples suggestions, but I didn't become rich off it. Within the last week though, I don't even look at peoples discussions, or numbers because I want to pick my numbers first without any kind of bias. I have actually found that in some instances where I switched out some of my numbers for someone elses, I have ended up losing.
The strength of this site is not copying someone else's posts. The odds of you picking someones numbers out of 12+ posts of 12-24 number pools on any given draw and winning the jackpot are pretty slim in my opinion. No one is that consistent. The strength of this site is the exchange of knowledge and ideas and to learn them and use them to allow one to pick their own numbers.
If your just lurking and trying to pick off a winning jackpot combination good luck to ya. Its a waste of time. Even if you managed to pick on a given draw someone that had that winning combination which is pretty rare from what I have seen, your chances are slim that you will hit the big one unless you spent astronomical amounts of cash every week. If you have that much money you would be better off spending it and investing it elsewhere than a game of chance that at best give you 1 in 13 million odds to win the big one. Picking numbers is one hurdle, placing them into a wheel to produce the winning combination is a lottery in itself if you don't wanna play complete wheels.
My thinking is there may be lurkers, and sure there are good picks every week distributed across all pools of 12-24 numbers posted every draw. But unless you can read the future, you will not be able to consistently pick the right numbers to make it be worthwhile. Lurkers may hang around, but more than likely they will lose interest if they are not interested in learning how to play lotto. The world is full of these types of people. For example they buy stocks based on a hot tip from a friend, or what they read on the news or see on tv. They may win money, but the odds are, a person without a plan or strategy will just win money one week and then end up losing it the next. Then they call themselves investors. Thats not investing. Investing is making a long term plan, getting sound advice, researching it and then buying a stock or other investment vehicle if it makes sense with your plans and goals. People who invest on hot tips and newspaper articles usually end up losing their retirement savings like in the last crash 15 months ago.
Now lotto is gambling, but without a strategy or system, your basically depending on dumb luck. You may get lucky but more than likely you will lose money unless you know whats going on and play intelligently.
Thats my two cents on it this topic. The exchange of knowledge and ideas is the strength of this site, not the numbers posted. And the knowledge you gain from it is best thing from my point of view. But learning takes effort and time, and if your not willing to invest that your just wasting your money hoping to cash in on an incredible opportunity of a lifetime that you would probably not recognize even if it was standing in front of you. Quoting Louis Pasteur (appologies to Beaker for using his sig) Chance favors the prepared mind, because without knowledge you would probably not even recognize the opportunity and pass it by.

Beaker

There's one thing you have won Godload - you are the winner for the longest post on this site :king: :lol:

Much on these boards is contained in other places. Much is not. If you stay here and don't become a better player, then buy QPiks. :agree:

But, we could all be much better beating these odds if we contribute.

I hope you win BIG soon Godload. :agree2:

Rebeckah

Godload, very well said. :)
More reasons for posting our picks: proof & fame
This BB is hard copy of our # selection BEFORE the draw. Thus proving our *system* actually works! & that we know what we're doing.
Fame, in that if we continue picking winners we feel good & get praise as a *knowledgable player*.
I would guess that if you made a master list of every # predicted for each game you would have a huge set of #s. So, posting our predictions doesn't really give anybody an advantage cuz there's too many #s.

powerball

Re: food for thought...

Good post, but here are some more "stats to chew on." Even if only one person played the same set that you posted, it could make a big difference. For example, the one ticket that matched 5+bonus on the February 4 6/49 draw won $487,996, but had that person posted his "dancing set" on the Internet, he would have ended up with a lot less. Had Lisa Roffelsen posted her "thunderbolts" combination on this board, she would have had to share the $25 million Lotto Super 7 jackpot.

The average prize for matching 5/6 is $1,821 with 252 winners. If the 1500 members played the same set you posted, you would win $1500 less at $261.

Conclusion: as proven by lottery researchers, people who use a "system" (such as software, birthdays or forums) to pick numbers have lower average payouts than people who picked rare combinations or even Quick Picks.

NmbrsDude said:
I wanted to give you some stats to chew on to help you realize that your fears are somewhat unrealistic in terms of what the members of this board stand to lose by posting numbers every draw.
<snip>

gsobier

Re: Re: food for thought...

powerball:

That is good news... ...NO ONE has my software... ...I wrote it and its not for sale:lol:.

Regards,
George:)
powerball said:
Good post, but here are some more "stats to chew on." Even if only one person played the same set that you posted, it could make a big difference. For example, the one ticket that matched 5+bonus on the February 4 6/49 draw won $487,996, but had that person posted his "dancing set" on the Internet, he would have ended up with a lot less. Had Lisa Roffelsen posted her "thunderbolts" combination on this board, she would have had to share the $25 million Lotto Super 7 jackpot.

The average prize for matching 5/6 is $1,821 with 252 winners. If the 1500 members played the same set you posted, you would win $1500 less at $261.

Conclusion: as proven by lottery researchers, people who use a "system" (such as software, birthdays or forums) to pick numbers have lower average payouts than people who picked rare combinations or even Quick Picks.

powerball said:

Why don't you compared it to the vast majority of quick picks players or losers????
The only problem I see when I compare it to my wins for the last 4 months is that I'm still wayyyyy...over while quick picks players are still paying for their tickets...And soon I'll even top Lisa Roffelsen because when she won...It was only luck...She will lose from now on...Not me :no:
:lol:

NmbrsDude

powerball said:

Your analysis regarding 5/6 or jackpots is correct and I certainly don't challenge that logic. My point is that those events are so rare in any 1 player's life that you really have to look at the 4/6 or 3/6 stats to realize that you wouldn't lose much.
Also, the 5/6 example you gave was, based on past results, an aberration and that the prize is usually around $100,000. Granted, even at the $100,000 level, someone winning that prize and having to share it will come out further behind. But again, that situation is rare enough not to be a big concern in my opinion.
Bottom line, if I get 5/6 on one line and come away with $80,000 instead of $150,000, I'm grounded enough to not cry that I've "lost" $70,000 but to celebrate that I have $80,000 I didn't have before. Call me crazy...

ND

:cool:

Sidebar