MS Windows

Brad

Have this love/hate relation with my Win98SE. Seems to lock up unexpectedly, always at the most inopportune times and the only way out is to reboot. Especially in the last few weeks I've had problems up to 2x a day !! , although I can go for weeks bfr it happens again. It is more likely to lock when I'm surfing.

Seen downloads, some free, on the net that claim to get rid of this prob, however I'm cautions lest I invite other bugs.

Anyone here know if there is a solution and if so which source is reliable? :confused:

TIA

BRAD

BRAD I HEAR WHAT YOU ARE SAYING..I HAVE WINDOWS ME ,AND THE SAME THING HAPPENS.I OUT THERE SURFING,AND THEN IT HAPPENS....... MR.:cold: HITS ME,AND THE ONLY OPTION I HAVE IS TO REBOOT ALSO!!!
I WONDER IF BILL EVER SURFS THIS SIGHT???:help:

Bones

98/SE/ME

Make sure you defrag regularly. But not before performing a limited scandisk with auto correct of all errors turned on.

Ben

it's like virus...
and if you are familar with regestry check it, there is an utility called regcleaner to remove regestry not needed.
it's my point of view am not sure 100%

download it from this usefull page

Last edited:

thornc

Brad!

You should look into Windows2000....(don't like XP)

Since I started using it I haven't had that kind of problems!
I just use it like plain win98se, no NTFS, no special services running, just the plain shell It's very good :agree: !

And perhaps you can get a copy of it cheap, in some store since because of XP nobody cares about it anymore!

winhunter

Reboot daily, open windows logically

Well, I guess if you lock up 2x daily, then rebooting is already being done.

It has been my experience in the past, the less # of windows you open and close, the less likely you are to crash or lockup. If you have windows that you open up on a regular basis, open them up FIRST, then open up the ones you only open occasionally. Don't close the regular ones either, just leave them open. There seems to be something about opening and closing alot of windows that makes a system go unstable, and then :cold: for no reason at all.

With as much VB as I do sometimes, this method works for me.

Trust me, if anyone can lock up a PC, its me!!

An internet tech support took a call from a lady called one afternoon, and the following conversation resulted:

lady:"My mouse is acting funny"

tech:"Can you explain the problem in more detail"

lady:"When I click, nothing happens, just a menu pops up"

tech:"What menu?"

lady:"You know, the menu that pops up when you click"

tech:"Oh? You mean when you right click?"

lady:"No, when I left click"

tech:"So, your left handed?"

lady:"Yes sir"

tech:"So your mouse is configured for left hand operation?"

lady:"No sir"

tech:"Have you checked the mouse settings?"

lady:"Yes sir"

tech:"When was the last time you rebooted?"

lady:"Three weeks ago, I think"

tech:"Why dont we go ahead and reboot now..."

lady:"Ok. You think this might fix the problem?"

tech:"Probably"

Time passes... .... ...

lady:"It's rebooted, Oh, the problem went away!"

tech:"Great. Maybe you should think about rebooting more often"

BTW, the tech was me!!

Andrew

Rebeckah

Ben said:
there is an utility called regcleaner to remove regestry not needed.

Ben thank you so much for posting this. I soooooo needed it & never thought to go out looking for it. This old baby has many unneeded progs, and when I was more of a newbie I mistakenly deleted stuff and made lots of messes & I still have error windows that come up all the time. Hopefully it'll cure my probs with installing winhunter as well.

Sidebar