Linux news...

thornc

... for those that may care!

Redhat will discontinue it's free Red Hat Linux distribution support and center it on a community like scheme with the Fedora project.

Novell has acquired SuSe, meanning that another big company is putting is money on linux.

Hope that this will get us rid of MS's monopoly or at least force MS into releasing better products and to play nice and fair against other companies...

gsobier

Thornc:

I worked on a project to put SuSE Linux on S/390 hardware running in z/VM... ...it didn't work out:bawl:.

I got only one comment about Microsoft software :crap:crap:crap::lol:.

Regards,
George:)
thornc said:
... for those that may care!

Redhat will discontinue it's free Red Hat Linux distribution support and center it on a community like scheme with the Fedora project.

Novell has acquired SuSe, meanning that another big company is putting is money on linux.

Hope that this will get us rid of MS's monopoly or at least force MS into releasing better products and to play nice and fair against other companies...

thornc

Re: Re: Linux news...

gsobier said:
I got only one comment about Microsoft software :crap:crap:crap::lol:.

Well not all of MS products are like, my main problem is with the tactics they use, not on their merit... although I have to agree that really most of them shouldn't have even left the programmer's hard disk...

Beaker

What Linux??

I don't want to get into a big technological debate here but I have a question. What Linux do people run?

I'm thinking of getting that OS on a machine but would like feedback from the Linux gurus on their experiences.

I'm running one computer on linux version 2.4 ....Been having this for quite a while now...You just remind me to check for update for this...
I like it...
Eventually I will get rid of everything that Microsoft throws at us...

Beaker

Dennis Bassboss said:
I'm running one computer on linux version 2.4 ....Been having this for quite a while now...You just remind me to check for update for this...
I like it...
Eventually I will get rid of everything that Microsoft throws at us...
Red Hat? Are there good free versions?

Beaker said:
Red Hat? Are there good free versions?

Just read this...on the linux site..

''In an email to Red Hat Network customers, the company has announced today that it
"...will discontinue maintenance and errata support for Red Hat Linux 7.1, 7.2, 7.3 and 8.0 as of
December 31, 2003," that "Red Hat will discontinue maintenance and errata support for Red Hat
Linux 9 as of April 30, 2004," and that "Red Hat does not plan to release another product in the Red
Hat Linux line."

Brad

re: MS OS (WinXP Pro)

This may be slighty off thread topic but I gotta vent :mad:

About a week ago I got a new laptop which I purchased on-line, it was to have Win2000 Home pre-installed. It arrived with WinXP Pro ... GREAT ! I thought, newer OS ! Unexpected Bonus !

Well, I have to retract my original thougths as after many hours(days) of setting-up, updating (Gigs of MS stuff!!), downloading and transferring files I am at my wits end and planning a clean restore (to factory specs) :dang:

Must admit that other than a brief stint with Mac OS I have no experience with anything but MS, and that WinXP Pro is probably geared towards companies which network their units and have 'experts' do their setup ...

BUT no OS should be this complicated/buggy to setup, even the manual says " ... has a fresh new look and it's easier than ever to use"<-- BULL FEATHERS!!! I'm starting to HATE MICROSOFT!!! add me to the growing list!!! :finger:

... gotta laugh else I'll start crying

Beaker

Vent on Brad. BAsed on my experience with MS OS on laptops you need to be very careful. Lots of times this stuff doesn't run without much pain. That's why I would get everthing pre-installed on my machine - upgrading a laptop with a new OS is not fun.

I know there are 100's of Linux distributions. Redhat seems most popular but there are many many free distributions also.

Brad

Beaker said:
Vent on Brad ... <snip> ...
My laptop did come with XP Pro pre-installed, and even tho self taught I can usually figure most things out given enough time.

But there comes a point when parts which worked OK previously ... and I'm only talking simple stuff now like printer, mouse, drive access ... do a disappearing act :rolleyes:, the top of my head starts to resemble Mt. Vesuvius !!

I take it you don't recommend a reset ... in that case, does anyone here want to trade-up to an XP Pro? Still shrink wrapped !! :dizzy:

Not sure if I'm ready to experiment with other makes of OS yet ...

thornc

Ok, today it's my turn to :teach:!

Linux is basically the core (kernel) of a linux operating system(distibution)!

Today the linux kernel is at version 2.4.22, the test versions are 2.5.xx! The stable version 2.6.xx should be ready soon.

Red Hat Linux distribution, is at version 9.0. Most people mistake Redhat with Linux, but it's just another distribution. what redhat said was that it was canceling directly funded support and development for the Red Hat Linux distribution, they are passing that to the community with the fedora project. They will maintain the Red Hat Enterprise Linux distribution for corporate customers. Basically they putting money into what makes them money, the corporate world.

So the freebe from RedHat is still there.
But there are other very good distributions that can be used in the desktop, even by non techy people, Mandrake is a very good example, you can find a complete list here!

charles2

OUCH = Redhat [RHAT] shares down 15 % yesterday and 8 % as of today = reasons =

1. As thornc points out Novell with help from IBM buys suse, the IBM part really puts a PAIN on Redhat.

2. Redhat now seems to abandoning it's free stuff and plans to start charging - mabye lots of smaller diehard linux fan investors dumped.

and 3 = here's the kicker gotta wonder if the ceo is nuts or has a plan :

RHAT CEO= WINDOWS BETTER THAN LINUX

“Red Hat: Stick with Windows at home

By Munir Kotadia
ZDNet (UK)
November 4, 2003, 5:49 AM PT

Red Hat's chief executive has said that Linux needs to mature further before home users will get a positive experience from the operating system, saying they should choose Windows instead. “

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-5101690.html

Brad

Double the fun ...

Does anyone have experience with having 2 different OS installed on the same machine? Mine has the ability to handle that ... I wonder if it's wise to do it and what's involved in alternating btwn the two?

thornc

The best advice I would give to people who want to try linux, is to try one of the cd based distributions available. Two very good ones are Knoppix and the Life Eval version of SUSE (here!)
A short note, SUSE only make has availablre a free ftp install, the main version has to be bought!

If anyone wants to know more, or wants more advice just ask!!

thornc said:
Ok, today it's my turn to :teach:!

Linux is basically the core (kernel) of a linux operating system(distibution)!

Today the linux kernel is at version 2.4.22, the test versions are 2.5.xx! The stable version 2.6.xx should be ready soon.

Red Hat Linux distribution, is at version 9.0. Most people mistake Redhat with Linux, but it's just another distribution. what redhat said was that it was canceling directly funded support and development for the Red Hat Linux distribution, they are passing that to the community with the fedora project. They will maintain the Red Hat Enterprise Linux distribution for corporate customers. Basically they putting money into what makes them money, the corporate world.

So the freebe from RedHat is still there.
But there are other very good distributions that can be used in the desktop, even by non techy people, Mandrake is a very good example, you can find a complete list here!
Fine I'll wait for that stable version to show up....

thornc

Re: Double the fun ...

Brad said:
Does anyone have experience with having 2 different OS installed on the same machine? Mine has the ability to handle that ... I wonder if it's wise to do it and what's involved in alternating btwn the two?

Yes Brad, I've done it many times... dual booting, as well as running both at the same time with VMWARE!

If you have windows XP or 2000 installed and if you're not tech savy I would suggest you not to try it, without the help of some one who is!

Beaker

thornc said:
The best advice I would give to people who want to try linux, is to try one of the cd based distributions available. Two very good ones are Knoppix and the Life Eval version of SUSE (here!)
A short note, SUSE only make has availablre a free ftp install, the main version has to be bought!

If anyone wants to know more, or wants more advice just ask!!
This is what I wanted to see :agree: Thanks thornc :agree2:

Glad to see there are some gurus here - not only lotto ones either :lol: :agree2:

gsobier

Beaker:

Some advice... ...you will be involved in a very steep learning curve no matter what you move to. I'm on Windows XP Professional and will probably move over to Linux eventually. Another computer testing Linux beside this one is how I'll do this transition.

For those who love the mouse, don't go to linux:no:. I hardly use the mouse in Windows, the keyboard is the way:agree:. I'm in DOS more than MS explorer now. OS/2 is where we should be:mad:.

99.9% is the population will continue with Windows just like they will play Quick Picks:lol:.

Regards,
Beaker said:
Vent on Brad. BAsed on my experience with MS OS on laptops you need to be very careful. Lots of times this stuff doesn't run without much pain. That's why I would get everthing pre-installed on my machine - upgrading a laptop with a new OS is not fun.

I know there are 100's of Linux distributions. Redhat seems most popular but there are many many free distributions also.

gsobier said:
Beaker:

Some advice... ...you will be involved in a very steep learning curve no matter what you move to. I'm on Windows XP Professional and will probably move over to Linux eventually. Another computer testing Linux beside this one is how I'll do this transition.

For those who love the mouse, don't go to linux:no:. I hardly use the mouse in Windows, the keyboard is the way:agree:. I'm in DOS more than MS explorer now. OS/2 is where we should be:mad:.

99.9% is the population will continue with Windows just like they will play Quick Picks:lol:.

Regards,
This has been my thinking from the beginning...two computers and each one of them on their OS :agree:

Sidebar