Linux news...

Beaker

gsobier said:
Beaker:

Some advice... ...you will be involved in a very steep learning curve no matter what you move to. I'm on Windows XP Professional and will probably move over to Linux eventually. Another computer testing Linux beside this one is how I'll do this transition.

For those who love the mouse, don't go to linux:no:. I hardly use the mouse in Windows, the keyboard is the way:agree:. I'm in DOS more than MS explorer now. OS/2 is where we should be:mad:.

99.9% is the population will continue with Windows just like they will play Quick Picks:lol:.

Regards,
George:)
George, I've worked in the UNIX environment for years, but haven't touched it in awhile, so hopefully I can use some of that knowledge in the Linux environment. If I could, I would run UNIX but I don't want to run it on Intel architecture - if I could get an old Sparc machine I would go that route. :agree:

thornc

gsobier said:
For those who love the mouse, don't go to linux:no:. I hardly use the mouse in Windows, the keyboard is the way:agree:. I'm in DOS more than MS explorer now. OS/2 is where we should be:mad:.

Beg to differ, you will find that most modern distributions (RedHat, Mandrake, SUSE) can be configured and used just like windows... pointting and clicking!!

Hehe, of couse I still perfer to use the command line... I even have a linux command line in my personnal computers!

thornc

Beaker said:
George, I've worked in the UNIX environment for years, but haven't touched it in awhile, so hopefully I can use some of that knowledge in the Linux environment. If I could, I would run UNIX but I don't want to run it on Intel architecture - if I could get an old Sparc machine I would go that route. :agree:

Beaker, just get the ISO for knoppix and try it for youself, no installation is required! You can have UNIX in a intel platform without any problems!!

Of couse, if you win the big one tonight you can always get a beatifull Sun Blade workstation and have the best of both worlds!!!

Beaker

thornc said:
Beaker, just get the ISO for knoppix and try it for youself, no installation is required! You can have UNIX in a intel platform without any problems!!

Of couse, if you win the big one tonight you can always get a beatifull Sun Blade workstation and have the best of both worlds!!!
Thanks again thornc - I have to catch up on all of this - its been awhile. :dizzy:

thornc

Originally posted by charles2
OUCH = Redhat [RHAT] shares down 15 % yesterday and 8 % as of today = reasons =

1. As thornc points out Novell with help from IBM buys suse, the IBM part really puts a PAIN on Redhat.

Here, Novell went up 30% after they announced the SUSE deal!!

thornc

Brad, unfortunnately every OS out there (except for MAC OS) will have to be correctly configured according to your hardware, of course the people you bought it from should have done it for you! That's a con of buying stuff online!

Windows XP compared to Windows 95, 98 and ME is a great advance (in MS terms) it can be used by anyone, not only compannies! You just need to loose some time setting it up correctly, it's not that difficult! And you should set it up correctly or you may get hit by those worms and virus that run around!! In fact your first download should be the Blaster patch! followed by service pack 1, and a visit to windowsupdate!!

Brad said:
My laptop did come with XP Pro pre-installed, and even tho self taught I can usually figure most things out given enough time.

But there comes a point when parts which worked OK previously ... and I'm only talking simple stuff now like printer, mouse, drive access ... do a disappearing act :rolleyes:, the top of my head starts to resemble Mt. Vesuvius !!

I take it you don't recommend a reset ... in that case, does anyone here want to trade-up to an XP Pro? Still shrink wrapped !! :dizzy:

Not sure if I'm ready to experiment with other makes of OS yet ...

charles2

Yes thornc Novell shot up here too, i thinks it's all because of this part = IBM heliping them to buy them. Helps novell hurts redhat, i think it's neutral to microsoft and hurts some others like sunw.

It's strange actually that IBM keeps this 3 rd hand approach and just doesn't aquire redhat or suse themselves? I don't think their that afraid of SCO legal actions but then again they haven't publicy said they would indeminify linux CORPORATE users from SCO's legal actions either.?

We will see.:notme:

thornc

charles2 said:
Yes thornc Novell shot up here too, i thinks it's all because of this part = IBM heliping them to buy them. Helps novell hurts redhat, i think it's neutral to microsoft and hurts some others like sunw.

It's strange actually that IBM keeps this 3 rd hand approach and just doesn't aquire redhat or suse themselves? I don't think there that afraid of SCO legal actions but then again they haven't publicy said they would indeminify linux CORPORATE users from SCO's legal actions either.?

We will see.:notme:

It's not neutral to MS!! It might be a big blow for MS!! Novell has some of the best corporate server software around, if they manage to get it running smoothly in SUSE; Windows Server 2003, Exchange 2003 and Outlook 2003 will get into serious problems!!

IBM doesn't need to be affraid of anyone! They own more patentes/copyright that almost every other corporation put togheter!!! They can go to court with anyone without fear!!
Anyway I doubt that Caldera/SCO has any credit, even Novell from whom they bought the UNIX stuff says that they didn't sell any copyright to them!

Brad

Re: Re: Double the fun ...

thornc said:
Yes Brad, I've done it many times...<snip>... if you're not tech savy I would suggest you not to try it, without the help of some one who is!
But I am tech savvy ... just to give you an example I just finished asssembling a Super Xtreme hamster cage for my kid's birthday, which consisted of many intricate parts including a Scintillating Space Pod and Gyroscopic Exercise Wheel and Rehydrator Fluid Vessel and Xtreme Spiral Slide ... accomplished all without a single glance at the instruction manual or anyone's help !!! :clown: (this will look good on my resume) ...

Thanks for the heads up Thornc ... think I'll pass on dual boot for now, maybe I should go back to Win98 ;)

charles2

thornc i got that info from Deutsche Securities, but then again the name of the game in stocks is to make money and NEVER fall in luv or HATE any particular stock, but you never know what can happen. Then again if i was so smart i'd be rich but i'm not ":lol:

"Implications of Novell acquisition for Linux stocks : Deutsche Securities sees today's Linux news as negative for RHAT, neutral for MSFT, and neutral-to-positive for SCOX (this morning NOVL announced the acquisition of Linux provider SuSE and that IBM is making a $50 mln investment in NOVL and plans to extend commercial agreements between IBM and SuSE); firm believes that 1) the RHAT/IBM alliance appears to be compromised and that valuation for SuSE implies that RHAT shares are overvalued, 2) MSFT is competing with Linux in general and long-term issues remain the same, and 3) resolving the SCOX issue could become more important as IBM's commitment to Linux appears as strong as ever. Firm reiterates their Hold rating on RHAT, and Buy ratings on SCOX and MSFT.

thornc

Re: Re: Re: Double the fun ...

Brad said:
But I am tech savvy ... just to give you an example I just finished asssembling a Super Xtreme hamster cage for my kid's birthday, which consisted of many intricate parts including a Scintillating Space Pod and Gyroscopic Exercise Wheel and Rehydrator Fluid Vessel and Xtreme Spiral Slide ... accomplished all without a single glance at the instruction manual or anyone's help !!! :clown: (this will look good on my resume) ...

Thanks for the heads up Thornc ... think I'll pass on dual boot for now, maybe I should go back to Win98 ;)

Ops, sorry Brad I meant computer guru tech savvy!! I forgot that you could have other extremely advanced tech skills!!! ;)

Irvin

Re: Re: Re: Double the fun ...

Brad said:

So its cat proof :D

"Made for small critters and guaranteed to keep the big critters out :D

gsobier

Beaker:

I've never learned Unix or Linux... ...I've seen enough to know the score... ...if I was required to learn either, it would be easy enough for me because I've seen more than 6 Operating Systems. Learning another one is just a normal thing for me. I do have a few favorite things I prefer in all I've been exposed to.

Regards,
Beaker said:

gsobier

Thornc:

Yes, you are right there... ...you can run either way... ...Linux does offer much more than WinDOZE if you want to use commands instead of the mouse in a GUI:agree:.

Regards,
thornc said:
Beg to differ, you will find that most modern distributions (RedHat, Mandrake, SUSE) can be configured and used just like windows... pointting and clicking!!

Hehe, of couse I still perfer to use the command line... I even have a linux command line in my personnal computers!

Brad

thornc said:
...<snip>... your first download should be the Blaster patch! followed by service pack 1, and a visit to windowsupdate!!
Thanks again Thornc, I forgot about the Blaster, it was no concern to my Win98. Rest assured that the very first time I got online updates were a priority ... got the Service Pack 1 among many others, not sure if Blaster patch was included in those, will have to check!

Cheers

ps. Irvin ... it's Cat but not scat proof :D say it fast 3 times ...

Irvin

Brad,

I bet your just a big kid and the present is really for you :D

I'm like that too.......now wheres theat lego set.

Sidebar