Filters, and the impact associated with using them.

PAB

I have kept a UK 649 Lotto Excel SpreadSheet DataBase since the inception of the UK Lotto back in 1994. As you can imagine, when I first started this I had NO idea how many different statistics and analysis could be created and monitored. It has evolved into a DataBase that contains hundreds of statistics and analysis and is quite huge. As well as adding new statistics and analysis throughout its life span, I regularly do housekeeping to try and keep some sort of order and continuity and stop clutter accumulating and confusing things, but as you can imagine, things slip through the net.

Well, I have done a complete overhaul to the DataBase which has taken me three days, phew!!!, there were times when I wished I had never started it. One thing I changed when trawling through were formulas that I used to setup different analysis years ago, which when I looked at them found that there was a much easier way to obtain the same information and make the formulas themselves clearer. There were MANY I might add. My biggest challenge, because there are something like thirty seven WorkSheets with thousands of rows and sixteen Chart sheets was to make sure that any columns or rows that I deleted did not have an impact on formulas associated with other WorkSheets or Charts and therefore screwing them up. I wrote a Macro that I entered a particular cell into and it went to the different WorkSheets and showed me exactly where the formula relationships were, without this I think it would have taken me forever to do this. As it was there was a lot of checking and double checking along the way, this is a nearly twenty year old DataBase don't forget.

Anyway, the data on my DataBase is used in a combination filter program that I setup in another WorkBook, which I have also updated by the way. While I was doing this I thought that I would put this post together to do with filters, and the impact associated with using them, and it is intended to hopefully point you in the right direction to gaining a slight edge on the combinations you play.

I will however say before I start, that I know EACH combination has as much chance as ANY other combination of being drawn, and that Lotto balls have NO memory.

I do however, believe that historical statistical data, if used in the correct way, could give you a slight edge based on previous draws. I know this subject has been approached several times before, but I thought that I would put my own personal slant on it.

As for historical data, the statistics that you create and use, whatever they are, have a LOWER & UPPER value for ALL THE DRAWS TO DATE. If you look at these, you will normally find that the values based on the total combinations drawn to date for the LOWER & UPPER limits are normally few and far between. What I normally do is to ignore the least LOWER & UPPER values and the total combinations associated with them, within reason of course, and only to a certain limit. Depending on what statistics you are using you can normally work out what to ignore and what to leave in. Ignoring the LOWER & UPPER values will REDUCE the spread of the LOWER & UPPER values to use for filters etc by anything from 2% to possibly 6%, or even more, depending on how fierce you want to be with revising the LOWER & UPPER limits, which could equate to say only discarding 10 to 30 draws of combinations, or maybe more from the historical data, depending on how many draws there are in the historical data of course. Although this seems hardly worth the effort, if you have several or many filters that you apply to the combinations you intend to play, this will make sure that the combinations you actually play will be within the currently ACCEPTED NORM, because the combinations are structured in such a way to give you a better chance of winning a prize.

At the end of the day though, it is the initial numbers that you choose to play that is most IMPORTANT & SIGNIFICANT, however many numbers that may be, because ultimately, you want to get as MANY numbers drawn to be within your overall selection of numbers.

I personally pick TWENTY FOUR numbers based on whatever criteria I deem fit. I then put these numbers into a vertical list in my Excel SpreadSheet DataBase where I have at present MANY filters (ONE HUNDRED at the moment), ALL with LOWER & UPPER values that I have revised from the ACTUAL LOWER & UPPER values. I then run a Macro that randomises (shuffles) the list of TWENTY FOUR numbers and produces 4 sets of 6 number combinations. Now these 4 sets of combinations could straight away fall within the revised LOWER & UPPER values, but it doesn't normally work out like that, so I have another Macro that continually Re-Runs the randomise (shuffle) list Macro of my TWENTY FOUR numbers until ALL 4 sets of 6 number combinations fall within the revised LOWER & UPPER values.

That's my current way of playing the UK Lotto, not to say that it might change in the future.

Anyway, here are just some, NOT ALL, of the Filters I am using at present, ALL with revised LOWER & UPPER limits:-

Filters:-
Decades Spread
Prime Numbers - (15)
Dozens
Dozens Spread
Trisection
Trisection Spread
First Digit - Same
First Digit Spread
Last Digit - Same
Last Digit Spread
Low Last Digits
High Last Digits
Low Numbers
High Numbers
Odd Numbers
Even Numbers
Low Odd
High Odd
Low Even
High Even
Low Odd/High Odd/Low Even/High Even Spread
Fibonacci Numbers - (8)
Lucas Numbers - (9)
Square Numbers - (7)
Total Sum Of Combination
Non Consecutive Numbers
2 Consecutive Numbers
3 Consecutive Numbers
4 Consecutive Numbers
5 Consecutive Numbers
6 Consecutive Numbers
n2-n1 Difference
n3-n2 Difference
n4-n3 Difference
n5-n4 Difference
n6-n5 Difference
Highest LOWER Number
Lowest UPPER Number
Range n6-n1
Min & Max n1
Min & Max n2
Min & Max n3
Min & Max n4
Min & Max n5
Min & Max n6
Root
Digital Root
StdDev
Lexicographic Index Number

I would be interested in what Filters other members use and why, so if you could post them that would be great.

At the end of the day though, THERE IS ONLY ONE GUARANTEED WAY TO INCREASE YOUR CHANCES OF WINNING THE LOTTO, and that is, BUY MORE TICKETS.

Well, I hope you find this post interesting or useful, if for nothing else other than seeing what can be done to attempt that the tickets you play, are, with small revisions, within the currently ACCEPTED NORM with respect to what has been historically drawn to date.
Obviously the more Filters you apply and use, the longer it will take to find an acceptable structure for the combination(s) you want to play.

This said, discarding ANY combination for whatever reasons, could potentially lead to the discarded combination being the winning combination. That's why I said at the beginning of this post..

"I will say however before I start that I know EACH combination has as much chance as ANY other of being drawn, and that Lotto balls have NO memory."

I would just like to add as a final point, that here in the UK, we can also play the same combination an extra 5 times in a daily draw, for an extra £1, the same price as the initial cost of one combination, but with reduced prizes of course. This is what I actually do on top of my intial 4 combinations that I play. This is quite good actually because I also get quite a few wins from that, which dramatically cuts down my WIN/LOSS expenditure. Just to explain in a bit more detail, if you were to buy a ticket on Saturday and also include the Plus5 draws, the ticket is played on Saturday (Main), and Sunday, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday (Daily Plus5), and for Wednesday, the ticket is played on Wednesday (Main), and Thursday, Friday, Sunday, Monday & Tuesday (Daily Plus5).

Have fun and good luck!!!

Regards,
PAB
:wavey:

-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-
12:45, restate my assumptions.
(1) Mathematics is the language of nature.
(2) Everything around us can be represented and understood through numbers.
(3) If you graph the numbers of any system, patterns emerge. Therefore, there are patterns, everywhere in nature.

Hello Pab:

I use some more filters, for example:

- sum of the last digit: The sum of the last digit of a combination, it has a certains values.

- Media: It is the sum of the numbers divided between the quantity of numbers of the game.

- Twin numbers. They are the numbers which 2 numbers are equal.

I use positional filters too.

Pab, there is some of your filters that I do not understand well:

-Decades Spread
-Trisection
-Trisection Spread
-Highest Lowest Number
-Lowest Upper Number

Can you explain to me a bit it brings over of his use?.

Thank you:beer:

jack

hello. pab, very good job of filters! my doubt is this = what is the difference between output patterns of numbers
a raffle and filters? because if you have standards standards that in 80% to dao 100% we have to use as a base before the filters
with this you can create a filter calculator where it configures the default after the filter, the filters with some tolerance
but please try to catch all of the lottery to set, i.e. a lottery 6/49, find the 3 hit the 4 numbers, the missing part to complete the game
be random, or another way to predict, what in this killing us is try to predict all (six numbers) try to predict 4 numbers e.g.,
Since mathematically one can get to a certain point the random factor will always influence,
pab, the problem just a filter setup go wrong there was the game,
pab, you can do the same good work we did make a few standard filters? Thank you

PAB

Hi sangoma123,

sangoma123 said:
I use positional filters too.

PAB, there is some of your filters that I do not understand well:

-Decades Spread
-Trisection
-Trisection Spread
-Highest Lowest Number
-Lowest Upper Number

Can you explain to me a bit it brings over of his use?.
Firstly, welcome to the board, I see this is your second post.
I do actually use the filters that you mentioned, as I said in my initial post, at the moment I am using over 100 filters that are arrived from by revising the ACTUAL LOWER & UPPER values and the total combinations associated with them.

(1) Decades Spread is simply how many Decades the 6 numbers of the combination drawn is spread across. For a 649 Lotto this will be anything from 1 to 5.

In a 649 Lotto there are 5 Decades:-

Decade 1 = 01,02,03,04,05,06,07,08,09
Decade 2 = 10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19
Decade 3 = 20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29
Decade 4 = 30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39
Decade 5 = 40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49

The interesting thing about the Decades is that this can also be used to do an analysis for what I call Double First Digits, taken that the numbers 1 to 9 are represented as 01 to 09.

(2) Trisection is simply the 49 numbers split into 3 categories...

Trisection 1 numbers = 01,02,03,04,05,06,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,15,16
Trisection 2 numbers = 17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32
Trisection 3 numbers = 33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49

...and the Trisection Spread is exactly the same principle as the Decade Spread.

(3) Highest Lowest Number is simply a Positional Limit, it is the Lowest number that has been drawn in Position 6.

(4) Lowest Upper Number is simply a Positional Limit, it is the Highest number that has been drawn in Position 1.

I hope this makes it a bit clearer?

Regards,
PAB

-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-
(3) If you graph the numbers of any system, patterns emerge. Therefore, there are patterns, everywhere in nature.

PAB

Hi again sangoma123,

sangoma123 said:
I use some more filters, for example:

- Twin numbers. They are the numbers which 2 numbers are equal.
There are two different scenarios to this in a 649 Lotto:-

(1) The first is pretty straight forward, the numbers are...

11, 22, 33 & 44.

(2) The second being, what I call Transposed, Mirrored or Reversed numbers, where they either make the same number or another number.
These can be split into 2 categories...

(A) Using Single Digits for numbers 1-9:-

12 & 21
13 & 31
14 & 41
23 & 32
24 & 42
34 & 43

You could actually extend this to:-

12 & 21
13 & 31
14 & 41
23 & 32
24 & 42
34 & 43

(B) Using Double Digits for numbers 01-09:-

01 & 10
02 & 20
03 & 30
04 & 40
12 & 21
13 & 31
14 & 41
23 & 32
24 & 42
34 & 43

Good luck and have fun!

Regards,
PAB

Hello Pab:
I am very thrilled by your answers because it is as when two persons speak the same language. Its like two persons in the same wave.

In what concerns some of your filters, I proved them some time ago and did not have good results with them, since with:
- high even
- low even
-high odd
- low odd

Also I had problems on condition of prime numbers, because he was interfering with the condition odd.
Imagine that you use the condition prime numbers (0-3).
If you use also the condition odd (2-4) in my case there could be collisions between both, since almost all the prime numbers are odd.

In what concerns the inverse numbers, also I observed that there were giving me bad results proved so much if it was using:

01-10,02-20,03-30,04-40,12-21,13-31, 14-41,23-32,24-42, y34-43

as if it was using what I am called " inverse pure numbers" :
12-21,13-31,14-41,23-32,24-42,34-43

Very satisfied to speak with you. I hope that we continue speaking about filters, publicly or privately.

Regards:rolling:

PAB

Hi sangoma123,

sangoma123 said:
Also I had problems on condition of prime numbers, because they was interfering with the condition odd.
Imagine that you use the condition prime numbers (0-3).
If you use also the condition odd (2-4) in my case there could be collisions between both, since almost all the prime numbers are odd.

In what concerns the inverse numbers, also I observed that there were giving me bad results proved so much if it was using:

01-10, 02-20, 03-30, 04-40, 12-21, 13-31, 14-41, 23-32, 24-42, 34-43

...as if it was using what I am called "inverse pure numbers":

12-21, 13-31, 14-41, 23-32, 24-42, 34-43
Yes, I know what you mean with regard to the above.
My method, although it uses the above criteria to a certain degree is only a minimal part of the overall structure, and the impact of this is negligable.
I would revise the above actual drawn criteria to date very slightly or not at all, especially with regard to the Inverse Pure Numbers.

Regards,
PAB

Hello PAB:

I believe that I did not see in your list of filters, the multiple numbers (although

I´m sure you are using them):

For example:-3 -4 -5 -6 -7 -8 -9 -10 -11 -12 -13 -14 -15 -16

Multiple numbers from 13 to 16 are slightly useful. I think, more useful multiple

numbers are from 3 to 9.

Also, filters can be done combining the multiple numbers between them.

Pab, refering to your list of filters, why there are several variations in?:

-Prime-15
-Fibonacci-8
-Lucas-9
-Square -7

Can you put any example, if it is possible, of any of these variations?

Regards:confused:

PAB

Hi sangoma123,

sangoma123 said:
I believe that I did not see in your list of filters, the multiple numbers (although I´m sure you are using them):

For example:-3 -4 -5 -6 -7 -8 -9 -10 -11 -12 -13 -14 -15 -16

Multiple numbers from 13 to 16 are slightly useful. I think, more useful multiple numbers are from 3 to 9.

Also, filters can be done combining the multiple numbers between them.
I don't quite follow what you mean???

sangoma123 said:
Pab, refering to your list of filters, why there are several variations in?:

-Prime-15
-Fibonacci-8
-Lucas-9
-Square -7

Can you put any example, if it is possible, of any of these variations?
What I mean by these is that I use the numbers that are less than or equal to 49 and check how many of them are included in the drawn combination.
So, for example, there are 15 Prime numbers less than or equal to 49 which I check against each drawn combination. The same applies for the others.

I hope this helps.

Regards,
PAB

You can use the multiples like a filter.For example:

Multiples of "3 ":You can study how multiple all those of "3" are in the habit of going out in every winning combination, and creating a filter.
(All the rest of multiples,like this example).

Now I understand the numbers,( 15 ),on your filters near fibonacci, : prime,etc.
They are how many numbers compose this type of numbers.I thought other things.

PAB

Hi sangoma123,

sangoma123 said:
You can use the multiples like a filter. For example:

Multiples of "3 ": You can study how multiple all those of "3" are in the habit of going out in every winning combination, and creating a filter.
I still don't follow you completely.
Are you saying that the Multiples of 3 are numbers 03, 06, 09...45, 48 etc.

sangoma123 said:
Now I understand the numbers ( 15 ) on your filters near fibonacci, prime, etc.
They are how many numbers compose this type of numbers. I thought other things.
Out of curiosity, perhaps you could give an example of the "other things" please.

FYI UK Members:

For the UK Main 649 Lotto, there has NEVER been a combination drawn where ALL the numbers drawn have had identical spacing.
This is also one of the filters that I incorporate.

Regards,
PAB

Pab,for a 6/49 game,Multiples of 3 are: 3,6,9,12,15,18,21,24,27

Múltiples of 4 are: 4,8,12,16,20,24,28,32,36

This way with all the rest.

Relating to "other things", I thought that departing from the base of, (for example), Fibonacci, you had obtained 15 more filters,but I didn´t know how.

Regards :hair:

PAB

Hi sangoma123,

sangoma123 said:
Relating to "other things", I thought that departing from the base of, (for example), Fibonacci, you had obtained 15 more filters, but I didn't know how.
No, that's not the case. I just put the total numbers that were relative to the filters that I posted in post #1 in brackets, that's all.

Regards,
PAB

Frank

That's a pretty comprehensive list of filters there PAB, but I notice that you do not include AC (Arithmetic Complexity). For those who haven't heard of it, for the 6/49 lotto its (the number of different "difference values" that can be made when you subtract every ball value from every other higher ball value ) and then subtract 5 from the final figure. The result (over the whole lottery) is eleven different possible values for AC ranging from 0 to 10.

Just to give you a couple of examples :- 1,2,3,4,5,6 Has only 5 Different difference values even though you make 15 calulations of differences between each and every ball. ( five ones, four 2's, three 3's, two 4's and one 5). So the AC value is 5-5 =0 for that combination.

Now consider combination:- 1,12,13,15,31,44. If you do the 15 calculations of all the differences you will find there are 15 different answers ! ( 11, 1, 2, 16, 13 ,12, 3, 18, 29 , 14 ,19 ,31 , 30 ,32 , 43 ) it is arithmetically complex. The AC value for this combination is 15-5 =10.

The frequency distribution across the 11 values is very skewed, so skewed in fact that 75% of all the combinations in a 6/49 lottery have AC values between 8 and 10, and the maximum number of combinations (32%) have an AC value of 8.

Th impact of this is AC ican be a very coarse filter, you can eliminate 25% of combinations by sticking to the range 8,9,10. Alternatively you can eliminate 68% of the combinations by sticking to an AC value of 8.
It s possible to run a macro for your particular lottery format to find the theoretical distribution and compare it with the actual results. I have done this for the UK lottery and its a pretty good match.

I suspect for other format lotteries, the number of AC values will vary and the adjustment figure (subtracted to make the lowest AC value zero) may be different.

PAB

Hello Frank,

Thanks for your input.

That is quite an interesting scenario on the manipulation of numbers.
I do use filters that takes each number away from the previous one as represented by:

n2-n1 Difference
n3-n2 Difference
n4-n3 Difference
n5-n4 Difference
n6-n5 Difference

...but that is as far as I presently go, because as you said, there are 15 combinations if you include all aspects of this.
I like the idea of the AC, it is similar to Delta's isn't it?
If you are happy to post the Macro that would be great otherwise I will put something together myself later in the week and possibly post the results.

Thanks again.

Regards,
PAB

Frank

Well I don't program as elegantly as you do PAB, I'm more for saving my time than the computers, so this only outputs results to the immediate pane. On an old XP machine it takes about 4 mins to run through all the UK combinations.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''

' this works out the theoretical AC counts for 649, runs in immediate pane only. Manual run

Sub ACdistribution()

Dim ac, n1, n2, n3, n4, n5, n6, Numdiffs, i, j, k As Integer
Dim diff(15), diffarray(48) As Integer
Dim AC_count(10) As Long
For i = 1 To 10
AC_count(i) = 0
Next

'start of combination generating loop
For n1 = 1 To 44
For n2 = n1 + 1 To 45
For n3 = n2 + 1 To 46
For n4 = n3 + 1 To 47
For n5 = n4 + 1 To 48
For n6 = n5 + 1 To 49

Numdiffs = 0
ac = 0
For j = 1 To 15
diff(j) = 0
Next

For k = 1 To 48
diffarray(k) = 0
Next
' work out 15 differences
diff(1) = n2 - n1
diff(2) = n3 - n2
diff(3) = n4 - n3
diff(4) = n5 - n4
diff(5) = n6 - n5
diff(6) = n3 - n1
diff(7) = n4 - n2
diff(8) = n5 - n3
diff(9) = n6 - n4
diff(10) = n4 - n1
diff(11) = n5 - n2
diff(12) = n6 - n3
diff(13) = n5 - n1
diff(14) = n6 - n2
diff(15) = n6 - n1

For j = 1 To 15
diffarray(diff(j)) = diffarray(diff(j)) + 1
Next

For i = 1 To 48
If diffarray(i) > 0 Then Numdiffs = Numdiffs + 1
Next

ac = Numdiffs - 5
AC_count(ac) = AC_count(ac) + 1

Next
Next
Next
Next
Next
Next
'end of combination generating loop

Beep

'readout to immediate pane
Debug.Print "AC distribution"
Debug.Print "AC"; " Count"
For i = 0 To 10
Debug.Print i; AC_count(i)
Next i

End Sub

I don't use macros to find the ACTUAL ACs of results, I use an array of formulas in multi columns to do the number crunching !

Frank

Hello again friends Pab and Frank:

What luck that you could to use your own filters and to programme them!

I, for the limitations of the commercial program that I use to create the combinations, cannot use this class of filters as that of Frank, (though I read anything of this filter "AC" some time ago,in the book "How to win more")

I use the filters in " Probable Groups ", and they have to be filters of the style of: "Fibonacci Numbers" (0-3).

The " Probable Groups " are flexible enough to introduce filters, but not for filters as that of Frank. (This it looks like a very good filter)

If you know some not usual filter of the type of:

x, x, x, x, x, x, x, x, x (2-3) or (0-4) I am grateful for you if you publish them.

Thank you very much :) :

PAB

Hi Frank,

You beat me to it!

I put something together earlier and just thought I would post it, only to find that you have already posted yours, nice code by the way. Anyway, I agree with your figures, they do say great minds think alike.

Frank said:
I don't use macros to find the ACTUAL ACs of results, I use an array of formulas in multi columns to do the number crunching!
Yes this does take a few formulas to arrive at the answer doesn't it?
I will have a play around and see if I can come up with an alternative method.

Thanks for sharing your code with the board.

Regards,
PAB

PAB

Hi sangoma123,

sangoma123 said:
If you know some not usual filter of the type of:

x, x, x, x, x, x, x, x, x (2-3) or (0-4) I am grateful for you if you publish them.
Am I right in saying that you are talking about 9 number combinations?
I only say this because there are 9 x's, or is it something that you have put together yourself, and if so could you please explain in a bit more detail.

Regards,
PAB

PAB

Hi Frank,

Although as you have quite rightly said, the AC's are heavily weighted towards the top end of the AC's scope of 0 to 10, the data from the UK 649 Main Lotto to date is still interesting.
Here are the figures for ALL the AC's upto and including draw 1,798.

AC Total
00 0
01 0
02 1
03 4
04 23
05 32
06 152
07 238
08 608
09 344
10 396
Total 1,798

From a filter point of view, revising this information and only using the criteria for AC's of 6 to 10, that is still 60 combinations that would have been excluded, not a massive amount I admit, but still worth it.
The total combinations that are available from C(49,6) for AC's from 0 to 5 are 523,034, a total of 3.74%.

Frank said:
I don't use macros to find the ACTUAL ACs of results, I use an array of formulas in multi columns to do the number crunching!
I just used the straight forward formula method to calculate the differences and then added the formula at the end to count the UNIQUE values and subtract the 5.

The formula I used was:

=SUM(IF(FREQUENCY(T16:AH16,T16:AH16)>0,1))-5

Regards,
PAB

Sidebar