Everything Went!!!

Rebeckah

I recently got a new computer, with all new software, including Quatro Pro10, which is like Excel. I've spent the last month or so creating elaborate databases for my Lotto. Spending countless hours adding up things by hand. yawn. This morning, ALL of my notebooks are wipped clean. PANIC! I can't recover the data, and don't know what to do. Needless to say, exasperation doesn't even come close to what I'm feeling. I never thought about backing up my data onto disks cuz it's such a new computer & system, that I never thought anything like this would happen. arg. So, my lotto analysis will have to wait ANOTHER month while I recover or recreate my files. :(

My point in writing is to urge all of you to backup your files. I never thought I'd lose everything and I'm super bummed. Hopefully some Corel genius on the Quatro newsgroup board can help me recover my files. I'll let you know what happens. :heul: :bawl: :sad:

peter

Rebekah, was it your Texas lotto you lost, or was it the Canadian 649? I'm using Quattro, have for years, Maybe I can help.

Beaker

Rebeckah said:
I recently got a new computer, with all new software, including Quatro Pro10, which is like Excel. I've spent the last month or so creating elaborate databases for my Lotto. Spending countless hours adding up things by hand. yawn. This morning, ALL of my notebooks are wipped clean. PANIC! I can't recover the data, and don't know what to do. Needless to say, exasperation doesn't even come close to what I'm feeling. I never thought about backing up my data onto disks cuz it's such a new computer & system, that I never thought anything like this would happen. arg. So, my lotto analysis will have to wait ANOTHER month while I recover or recreate my files. :(

My point in writing is to urge all of you to backup your files. I never thought I'd lose everything and I'm super bummed. Hopefully some Corel genius on the Quatro newsgroup board can help me recover my files. I'll let you know what happens. :heul: :bawl: :sad:
While its unfortunate that this happened, I have no sympathy for people that do not take the time to do backups. :dang:

The countless hours you have spent will now be countless more restoring your system and if you had a disk crash you would be spending minimum $1000 US to get that data off from a restoration service.

No need to urge backups here - I backup daily with a 5-day rotation and incremental every month - my effort is to valuable to me to do otherwise.

Good luck Rebeckah :agree:

Re: Re: Everything Went!!!

Beaker said:
While its unfortunate that this happened, I have no sympathy for people that do not take the time to do backups. :dang::fairy: Snipper Character
Beaker is right you should back up ...everytime you have a chance to do it... :agree:

charles2

i backup my data stuff only daily onto 4 cdrw's

1. goes into my car just in case my house burns down )

2. 1 goes in my firebox in my basement

3. 1 stays near the computer but out of the actual cdrw drive

and

4. 1 stays in the cdrw drive:agree:

Rebeckah

At least I have a legitimate excuse for being this stupid. {Let's not go there ok) I'll take consolation in thinking that my warning will entice someone reading to back up their info, which will produce a win for them someday. :agree2:

Rebeckah

peter said:
Rebekah, was it your Texas lotto you lost, or was it the Canadian 649? I'm using Quattro, have for years, Maybe I can help.

Peter, it was Texas Lotto. & I don't know how to start a day earlier, can you really do that? It's been 3 days now anyway. Hey, since you use QP, I've noticed that all my stuff is saved under my documents, instead of directly under the office suite. Does yours do that? I'm thinking this may be where the prob is.? :confused:

NOT SO BAD

IT MAY SEEM BAD ...BUT CHECK THIS OUT....IN JANUARY I WAS INVOLVED IN A S.V.A. .TOTALED MY COMPANY VEHICLE (OUCH) .TWO WEEKS AGO I PICKED UP MY NEW COMPANY VEHICLE...WHAT A BEAUTY..I FELL IN :love2: WITH IT RIGHT A WAY...ALL THE BELLS AND WHISTLES!!!!!!!!!
I HAD IT FOR 5 HOUR...200 KM ON IT...STILL HAD THE PAPER MATS ON THE FLOOR..AND SOME YOUNG LADY WAS NOT AWARE THAT HER LIGHT WAS RED... :(

BUT THE SUN CAME UP THE NEXT DAY :angel: :)

Rebeckah

Re: NOT SO BAD

oh honey, I learned a long time ago not to play *I have it worse than you do* with anybody. As soon as I start complaining up pops somebody with the worst hard luck story I ever heard about being born with a tail and then poked with plastic forks as a child and left to be licked to death by the 53 hungry house cats. & the last time they went to a Bar-B-Q & saw a plastic fork they tried suicide via swallowing a whole watermellon.

As mon said, I'm glad you're ok, & at least they were company cars right? Think about it this way, the TWO accidents could have been much much worse, and you came out of it in good shape with a new car even.... I'd say that's pretty lucky!

Re: Re: NOT SO BAD

Rebeckah said:
oh honey, I learned a long time ago not to play *I have it worse than you do* with anybody. As soon as I start complaining up pops somebody with the worst hard luck story I ever heard about being born with a tail and then poked with plastic forks as a child and left to be licked to death by the 53 hungry house cats. & the last time they went to a Bar-B-Q & saw a plastic fork they tried suicide via swallowing a whole watermellon.

As mon said, I'm glad you're ok, & at least they were company cars right? Think about it this way, the TWO accidents could have been much much worse, and you came out of it in good shape with a new car even.... I'd say that's pretty lucky!

MAY YOUR ROAD BE PAVED WITH LOTS OF SENSE :bouncy:

charles2

Re: Re: NOT SO BAD

Rebeckah said:

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

what i thought was funny was Reb's licked by 53 cats etc hehehe, obviously not the car accident:dang:

Last edited:

Randal

You're just old peter.. haha

Anyway I don't see how your notebooks got magically wiped. 9/10 I blame user error for computer problems.

Randal

Virus triggers on a certain date while no one is using it?
Eg) CIH.Win95/Chernobyl Virus.

I think April 26th is the anniversary for that bad boy and the anniversary for the Chernobyl nuclear planet meltdown too.
COINCIDENCE!? I THINK NOT!

Sidebar