6/49 false logic

Goswinus

Re: Same draw

GillesD said:
... In the real world, what are all possibilities (with H=head and T=tail)? I think the answer is: H-T, H-H, T-H and T-T. And if I count right, I see 4 possible outputs with 2 of them (H-H and T-T) meeting the condition "getting the same side twice in a row", so 2 on 4 is 50%. ...

I'm very sorry to say this, but GillesD, "What's troubling your mind?". I've seen many many elegant things from you, but here you are lost.

In the above you explain that the chance is 1 in 4, but your conclusion is somehow "2 on 4 is 50%".

????????????????

Let's assume you first hit the H, so out of the 4 possible combinations H-T, H-H, T-H and T-T there's one, exactly one and only one possible combination that meats the requirement: H-H.
So indeed, the chance is 1 in 4 i.e. 25%.

GillesD

Sorry, Goswinus. I thought I was clear.

The question is: "What are the odds of getting the same side twice in a row?". This is before you start throwing the dice. And to me, this seems clear that it does not specify whether you want 2 heads or 2 tails. So out of the 4 possibilities (H-T, H-H, T-H and T-T), there are 2 good ones that satisfy the question (H-H and T-T) and 2 bad ones (H-T and T-H). So 2 out of 4 is 50% (I think).

If you wanted 2 heads, the question should have been "What are the odds of getting heads twice in a row?". And then the probability would have been 1 out of 4 or 25%.

Is it my wording or your reading that is deficient? In this case, I really think you missed something.

When you say "Let's assume you first hit the H ...", you made an ASS of U but please leave ME out of it. I never assumed. Basically, what it says is:"Let's flip 2 coins and half the time, you will get the same side and the half time you will get one head and one tail (but not necesseraly in that order). If you have a coin with you, try it.

from the country..

I know I'm from the country..but due to the over whelming stats and probabilities.. I feel some what confused:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

Don't worry everybody...Dennis's Hints always take good care of everything..1/10 or 1:9 or whatever.... the hints are there to make any gamblers or mathematician wondering....at times they are so subtle ....just play them play them both... :lol: :lol: :lol: :dizzy: :dizzy: :kaioken: :kaioken:

Sidebar