Memory price

tomtom

Just was thinking about upgrading my computer a bit and checked the recent part prices. I was greatly surprised by the memory prices. Presently, almost outdated 512 MB 333 mhzDDR costs the same as TWO fairly good P4 800 Mhz main boards. 1GB costs more than many of P4 processors, and at same time it is more expensive than some really powerful video cards with built in DDR memory. Just wonder why is memory that expensive? Lack of competition among importers?

peter

tomtom said:
Just wonder why is memory that expensive?
Do excuse me for interjecting here, but I just can't help myself.
Memory is hard to come by, particularily in old people:lol:

tomtom

Re: Re: Memory price

peter said:
Do excuse me for interjecting here, but I just can't help myself.
Memory is hard to come by, particularily in old people:lol:

Maybe it is good time to start some memory import company, and get loaded both with money and memory before get old?

thornc

tomtom check this out!

US$93 is not very expensive, is it?

You have to understand that the making today's memory is a bit more tricky that it was a few years ago! The main problem being what is called "yield", that is the amount of ram chips they can make from one slice of silicon! To make high speed, highly concentrated memory chips (like those in 1GB dimms) is very difficult hence the high price!
And believe me there is competition, problem is that you can't compete that much when it already costs you a great deal of money to produce something!

tomtom

thornc said:
The main problem being what is called "yield", that is the amount of ram chips they can make from one slice of silicon! To make high speed, highly concentrated memory chips (like those in 1GB dimms) is very difficult hence the high price!

Well, it’s a temporary manufacturing problem then…

Thanx

Sidebar