In the News

Beaker

Lottery Winners Throw Away $10.5M Ticket

By Associated Press

November 26, 2003, 1:53 PM EST

CHICAGO -- The Chicago area's garbage strike was a nuisance for many, but now it smells sweet to two lottery winners who had mistakenly thrown their $10.5 million ticket in the trash.

Chicago resident Ezekiel "Zeek" Garnett, 27, and his sister, Karen, 24, bought an Illinois Lotto ticket Oct. 4 in Niles but threw it out without checking the numbers. Their mother then heard that a ticket sold in Niles was a winner, and she checked the trash with her daughter.

Thanks to the nine-day garbage strike last month, the ticket matching all six numbers was in a bag still waiting to be picked up, lottery officials said.

"This will definitely help me live more comfortably. But I'm still keeping my job at UPS," Zeek Garnett said Wednesday.

His sister, a baggage screener at Midway Airport, said she will pay off bills, buy a home and take her dream vacation to Hawaii.

"I always thought maybe I could go there on my honeymoon, but now it looks like I can go sooner," she said.

The siblings did not say what they would do for their mother, except that she would be taken care of financially.
Copyright © 2003, The Associated Press

Brad

:lol: :lol: :lol: ... How sweet it smells !! Double luck or what !! Which would be harder, hitting the JP or locating the ticket in a steaming mountain of household garbage at the Chicago dump ?? ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

NmbrsDude

The burning question in my mind is what kind of knob buys a lottery ticket and then throws it out without checking it? If that's what you're going to do, then just put your cash in the garbage can directly and save yourself the trip to the store.

ND

:cool:

Irvin

NmbrsDude said:
The burning question in my mind is what kind of knob buys a lottery ticket and then throws it out without checking it? If that's what you're going to do, then just put your cash in the garbage can directly and save yourself the trip to the store.

ND

:cool:

Answer: Someone who already has too much money and doesnt know what to do with it.

savagegoose

out here in in oz; well in my state and 1 other, we have a lotto registration card. when you buy a ticket, the purchase is recorded as being used with that card, and if you lose theticket, or fail to make a claim they know your details from the card and will contact you or send a checque for smaller wins.

its worked for me. i have recieved several small wins i didnt notice. as checks.

Irvin

savagegoose said:
out here in in oz; well in my state and 1 other, we have a lotto registration card. when you buy a ticket, the purchase is recorded as being used with that card, and if you lose theticket, or fail to make a claim they know your details from the card and will contact you or send a checque for smaller wins.

its worked for me. i have recieved several small wins i didnt notice. as checks.

The NZ lotto looked at this idea and decided not to use it saying it would cost too much.......reading between the lines they mean if we give out all the winnings we wont make a decent profit and the prize pool wont have enough funds for bonus draws.

Sheba

savagegoose said:

[COLOR=dark blue]I can see that will be the way of the future! I like that idea though....Using paper slips will become a thing of the past....[/COLOR]

Sheba__:dog:~~~ Good Luck!
-----------------------------------------------------

savagegoose

Sheba said:
[COLOR=dark blue]I can see that will be the way of the future! I like that idea though....Using paper slips will become a thing of the past....[/COLOR]

Sheba__:dog:~~~ Good Luck!
-----------------------------------------------------

yeah irs a little complicated. theres a lot of legal mumbo jumbo on the lotteries website reguarding this, and i'll post a link to it if u like, but the upshot is the lotteries isnt liable for losing the numbers out of their database or not contacting you. and you have a year to claim still and its a good idea to keep ther ticket and still check the numbers.

the bearer claim is the strongest claim on a prize so i wouldnt go throwing my tickets away after i registered it on the card,.

i look at it as an added level of security.

what i mean is they'll still try and contact you via the recorded info on their databse. but if that screws up they are not liable. so its still not perfect. but i have had a few checks over last 10 years from draws i missed.

I also play in another state, and they send the checks for small wins . so its a god send

hot4

savagegoose said:
<snipped>

what i mean is they'll still try and contact you via the recorded info on their databse. but if that screws up they are not liable. so its still not perfect. but i have had a few checks over last 10 years from draws i missed.

I also play in another state, and they send the checks for small wins . so its a god send

God, I'd like to live in that paradise ...:liplick:

savagegoose

actually when it forst started in this state, many many years ago, it cost $2 per year to get the card.

the one in another state i couldnt play without the card, and their CC purchase, it costs $3 a year for the service.

no my local states cards are free.

i cant belive a lotto with $100M prizes doesnt have such a thing

i happily pay my $3 and would pay $5 etc.

savagegoose

another thing we have here i thought you mite not have is " yop up box" if you want to pick only a few numbers and let 'puter pick the rest only fill 1 2 3 etc numbers out , and the machine will randomely pick the other numbers upto the 6 per game.

i think its ideal if you feel only a few numbers are lucky, just fill out 2 pr box and get the other 4 numbers per game auto picked.,

heheh we love our gambling in australia

Irvin

Hello Savagegoose,

Dont you guys have a double bet option for the lower 2 divisions on the weekly lotto for only a few cents more?

savagegoose

hmm not that i know of. Most of our lotto is national, but every state has its own smaller games as well. they do many weird and wonderful things to try n get us to play these lower paying games.

including a onth wher elower tier prizes are doubled, or for every 25 game maxi pick you buy, you get another one free,

bonus car draw for every ticket bought. etc... list goes on.,

one of the other states may do that, but it isnt on the national ones, or in my state

savagegoose

oh and one of the places with registration card has online view of ya winnings.

takes 13 weeks for checks to be sent grrrrrrrrr

heres my current list of wins, cant wait to cash em when they get here. I emailed and asked em if they could keep the money and just deduct the fees from next bill,. they said only way was to send the check back to em , ergghhh 10 week bills, and 13
weeks for checks to be sent, i liked my idea better.

this aint too bad a lot of wins, cost me about $60 for 10 weeks of entries :p :D

Saturday Gold Lotto
22/05/2004
$24.65

Wednesday Gold Lotto
12/05/2004
$13.35

Powerball
15/04/2004
$9.65

Powerball
1/04/2004
$12.40