Help

Maggie

Anybody know of a homemade remedy for that lovely skunk scent? The dog got sprayed early this morning. I've given her one bath already, she's been banished to the garage until her next bath. I imagine she will have at least 2 more today. Thankfully, it's supposed to go up to about 26 today, she can spend the day outside. I'm going to go out to buy some special shampoo for her for that, but I wondered if there was something I can make up myself. I can think of better ways to use up a sick day from work..

LT

Administrator
Hi maggie
... poor dog :sick:

You can get rid of the scent by giving your dog a bath in tomato juice rinse and then use soap/shampoo to wash out the remaining tomato juice.
Good Luck and not just with the lottery :)

Maggie

Thanks LT,

You're right. Poor Dog!! She absolutely reeks! I've heard of the tomato juice, and I will try that on her today too. I think our neighbor has a family of skunks living under their shed, they spray almost every night. It's horrible..

well, there's only one thing to do.. win the lottery and move. :D

Beaker

July August 96
Bird Dog & Retriever News
Back Issue
Taking the Stink Out Of Skunk

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The news has traveled far: Scientists nationwide are claiming a homemade recipe can give you peace of mind if your pet has an unpleasant encounter with a skunk... of course there's still folks who prefer tomato juice or vinegar.

Forget tomato juice, it just doesn't work, Division of Wildlife researcher Tom Beck said while looking over a recipe.

He wasn't talking about a bloody Mary.

Beck's dog recently rolled around in the remnants of a skunk that had been dead for two weeks. "There's nothing that smells much worse," he said.

Instead of banishing his dog outside for the night, Beck tried a chemical concoction of hydrogen peroxide, baking soda and liquid soap. The combination apparently neutralizes organic compounds that cause the foul-smelling odor.

"It really works," Beck said. He found the recipe in Wildlife Control Technology magazine.

The formula is a safe, fast and cheap skunk deodorant that was developed by chemist Paul Krebaum of Lisle, Ill., when a colleague's cat was in dire need of a cure. The recipe includes:

One quart of 3 percent hydrogen peroxide

One-fourth cup baking soda

One teaspoon liquid soap

Skunk essence is made of sulfur molecules, Krebaum explained in the article. The materials in the recipe, when mixed together, form an alkaline peroxide, which chemically changes the skunk essence into sulfonic acid; a completely odorless chemical. The soap breaks down the oily skunk essence, making it more susceptible to the other chemicals

Beaker

Getting Rid of Skunk Smell

Myth: The only thing to get rid of the horrid smell when a skunk sprays your dog is tomato juice.

Fact: We now have on the market, several brands of odor neutralizers, some that work excellently. Such as "Skunk Off" or "Odormute". The main problem seems to lie in when and where the dog gets sprayed. When, is usually when the local vet clinic or pet store that carry such products are closed for the day or weekend. Or where is when you are no where near a place that sells pet products.
If your pet dog, cat, horse, anykind of pet gets sprayed it is often a direct hit in the facial area. If any spray hits the eyes, your first concern should be to flush the animals eyes with clean, tepid water. Gently here, don't use a forceful stream of water on any creatures eyes.
Now, for the neutralizer. If you don't have a brand name product on hand, then tomato juice worked into the hair coat and left on for a few minutes before rinsing off will work. No tomato juice on hand, then Coke or even Pepsi will work. Even toothpaste will work. But you must work it into the hair coat where the skunk spray hit and leave it on for a few minutes. Anything acidic like these items will work to some degree. Now the following homemade odor neutralizer works better than most other suggestions. Mix one quart 3% Hydrogen Peroxide, 1/4 cup Baking Soda and one teaspoon of liquid laundry or dishwashing soap. Soak the hair coat with it, leave for five minutes, then give the dog a bath. Caution: Make only as much of this mixture as needed, do not attempt to store it ahead of time or afterwards.
You must apply your choice of solution to the spot on the dog that took the hit. You will have to apply more than once for some hair coats. Remember to never allow anything you are using to get into the animals eyes. Some people say that putting a few drops of Mineral Oil in the pets eyes first will help to protect them.
Oh, and do save some of your chosen stink remover, for removing the smell from your hands and/or clothes when you are finished with the animal.

Looks like peroxide, baking soda and dishsoap wins :sick:

You can use the peroxide and baking soda for her gums too.

:lol:

Last edited:

Brad

Never would have dreamed to look for a Skunk Stink deodorizer recipe on a Lotto WS :lol:. Good work Beaker ! :agree2: and good luck Maggie ;) .

Just a thought, Lotto players don't seem to have good luck with their dogs ... first Geenie, now Maggie :D

Maggie

Thank you, Beaker.

I knew there was something you could mix up yourself, but I just didn't know what or how much. She has had her third bath now, and she doesn't smell a whole lot better yet. I feel sorry for the poor thing, even the cat won't go near her. I don't have any peroxide in the house, but I'll get some on the way home from work tomorrow and bath her with that recipe. This is not my idea of fun at all. :sick:

Maggie

Hi Mon,
Nice to "see" you again. I thought since I haven't seen you on the board in over a week, you won a big jackpot and you were on a nice vacation somewhere. :) :wavey:

Maggie

The dog is fine, Beaker, thanks for asking. She still has a bit of a whiff to her though. I call it "eau de pew" :)

renata

The skunk is out

Hey Maggie I'm glad to hear that you dog is smelling better these days. For sure skunk spray is one of the hardest smells to get rid of.
Lucky for me my dog has never been sprayed. He does love to roll on dead things though. It's a dog thing.
I have to give up my dog soon because I am moving and can't take him with me. He's a Beagle, a good dog, and lives well with a cat. I need to find a home for him within the next 2 weeks. I'm moving at the end of this month. If you know of anyone who might want a dog, let me know.

Sidebar