Flu

Sheba

POSTED AT 12:19 AM EDT Sunday, March 16

Deadly atypical pneumonia strikes two Canadian cities
Canadian Press and Associated Press

Toronto — Health officials have confirmed a ninth Canadian case of atypical pneumonia and are preparing to test hundreds of potential patients as worries grow around the world about the highly contagious and potentially deadly disease.

Doctors don't know what causes the illness, which is believed to spread through close contact with an infected person.

On Saturday, Toronto officials confirmed a seventh local case, a day after announcing that six family members had been infected, including a mother and son who died.

The seventh patient had come in close contact with the family, but officials wouldn't say what the connection was.

There have also been two cases in British Columbia — unrelated to the Ontario infections — where one person remained in hospital Saturday and the other has recovered.

The World Health Organization made the rare decision Saturday of declaring a worldwide travel advisory, based on reports of the disease's spread around the globe.

The organization said that in the past week it has received more than 150 reports of atypical pneumonia, which it is calling severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS).

"SARS is now a worldwide health threat," said Dr. Gro Harlem Brundtland, WHO director general. "The world needs to work together to find its cause, cure the sick and stop its spread."

The growing list of countries reporting cases of the illness include China, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam. Most cases involve medical workers.

On Saturday, a Vietnamese nurse died after having earlier treated an American businessman who also died of the disease, the French Embassy in Hanoi said.

The latest death brought the toll to nine, including the two people who recently died in Ontario.

The disease first struck in China's southern Guangdong province in late January, killing five people.

No cases have been identified in the United States, health officials said. But a doctor believed to be infected was taken off a New York-to-Singapore flight in Germany on Saturday and quarantined.

Two people travelling with him — his wife and another doctor — also were being held in hospital for observation.

In New York, health authorities put hospitals on alert.

In Toronto, a hotline has been set up for concerned citizens to find out if their symptoms — which include high fever, headache, confusion, diarrhea, shortness of breath and muscular stiffness — suggest they could be infected.

"It can come on quite suddenly and get bad within days," said Dr. Barbara Yaffe, Toronto's associate Medical Officer of Health and director of communicable disease control. "It is not a mild illness."

But she said the outbreak is not a significant risk to the general public, and is limited to those who have been in close contact with one of the infected.

Ontario's coroner was investigating one of the deaths and testing was being conducted at a provincial laboratory with additional specimens being sent to a federal laboratory in Winnipeg.

Health Canada is now helping to contact individuals who could have been infected, such as family, friends and co-workers.

Officials are also trying to determine who would have been in Toronto's Scarborough Grace Hospital at particular times, and compiling a list of those who shared a flight with an infected person, or attended the funeral of one of the victims last week.

If people were not exposed in one of those scenarios, they are not at risk, Dr. Yaffe said.

Avoiding the spread of infection requires an increased level of caution and awareness, she said, including good hygiene and frequent hand washing.

The patients have been quarantined and family of the infected have been told to stay at home until it can be certain they are healthy.

One of the dead and two other family members had recently returned from Hong Kong, where atypical pneumonia has been spreading.

While health officials stopped short of directly linking travel to the affected regions of Asia with the disease, they did caution that it was one factor to consider.

Most of the outbreaks have been reported in China, Hong Kong and Singapore, and unconfirmed new cases were reported in Vietnam and Taiwan on Saturday.

This is a message from God.....Humans you better put your act together and stop being so violent and bad for your communities and environment....You better start showing respect for life...All kind of life....You better start to help yourself by starting to help others...
And if you do not stop acting like barbarians....something will stop you from doing it....

And JoJo listen to your heart...You will find good where you least expect it....Everybody can find good when looking for it...
Look at me.... I'm colour blind but this will not prevent me from dancing with a Jackpot in my hands....
:lol: :dance1:
:cool:

Last edited:
criminals playing with fire

Ok i am gonna be more blunt here...
do u remember just after Sep 11 there was an anthrax attack ?
And many ppl tried to point the finger to Middle East terrorists, it wasn't it was a person within USA.....
Some dirty fingers commit dirty crimes so the finger is pointed toward certain ethnic race...
You will be surprised who is behind Sep 11.....Thank God there is The Net so I know what is happening around me etc etc....

Finally, my REAL LOTTERY WIN WILL happen by Early 2022 A.D.
I hope I am alive by then to witness it and jump really HIGH..
Don't you ever believe what you are being told by our media and hollywood that teaches us SIN !!!

peter

Dennis Bassboss said:
And JoJo listen to your heart...You will find good where you least expect it....Everybody can find good when looking for it...
Look at me.... I'm colour blind but this will not prevent me from dancing with a Jackpot in my hands....
:lol: :dance1:
:cool:
Dennis..... How can you be color blind, when your posts are always so colorful.:D

peter said:
Dennis..... How can you be color blind, when your posts are always so colorful.:D
This is a 10,000$ question....And it is totally true Peter...I can't see the slightest colour anymore.. I guess it's like liking to do what I am not able to do anymore?? But think about it...Why blind people are wearing glasses? Why a person with one leg would go for a run throughout Canada? Why an ex-smoker could not endure the smoke from only one cigarette? Why Allmost bald people go to the barber shop to get a haircut? Why? Why? Why?And Lottodudes there is nothing sarcastic about that....Honest! :confused:

I'll tell you it is a real strange world that we are living in...Saw a man today shoveling the snow and throwing it in the middle of the street... :dang: I stopped my truck and ask him why he was doing it?
He said to me in french with some bad words ''Mind your own busines'' I said to him that it was exactly what I was doing because the street belongs to everyone...He than starts to yeld at me and he was really mad at me ... In the end I said to him that like it or not springtime is coming and it won't come faster by shoveling the snow and throwing it in the street...But if a child cross the street there and a car happens to come in fast the snow that he places there could mean death because of slippery tires on icy surface...
Believe it or not He looked at me as if I was crazy :wow: ...Bottom line to punish him I put a lot of salt on the snow that he just shoveled there..And this summer I'll find artificial snow and I will buried his driveway with it!
:lol:

Seems like that flu is spreading ...one case in New Brunswick , some others in B.C. and Western Canada....another person has died from it in Ontario....
:dang:

It was spoken in our ancestral language by the elderly people that one day one disease will kill each 3/4 of any clan... I have a bad feeling about that flu... :dang:

Randal

I believe wide spread disease is just natures way of leveling out the playing field. Lets face it, there are too many people in this world and it's natures job to find new ways to kill em.

Just my 2 cents.

Sidebar