Firefox Browser

LT

Administrator
I'll kick off the first thread.

For those of you who don't know about the alternative to M$ IE yet, there is a great new browser called Firefox. It will make your experince here at the forums as well as everywhere else better faster etc.

You can get it for free at:
http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/ :agree2:

Teufellj

Foxfire...

Hello LT,

I have checked just on the Mozilla website in your note and have not found a cost. Also, the foxfire is recommended mainly for ...XT...units but not recommended for ...ME and others. Do you know of what the possible problems might be or some discussion group that is into pros and sons for probable usages? I am considering this browser...Foxfire and the Thunderbird ad blocker but need more input.
Thanks,

Teufellj...

thornc

Already posted somewhere else but....

May I advice on some optimized firefox builds... I'm using one from here!
Choose one according to the processor you use, I would advise the Release versions but all other should work!

Also get some extensions, good ones are
* "ieview" which will call up IE for the a link!
* "User Agent Switcher" which will enable your Firefox to pretend it is some other browser.....

This was posted with:
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; rv:1.7.3) Gecko/20040917 Firefox/1.0PR (MOOX M3)

thornc

Teufellj,
I don't understand your problems!

Firefox is free! No cost (other than the download)!

Second it should work for every form of windows (at least since 98SE)!

Just try this version from the website I posted above! Hit me!

Just execute and select a directory where to put the files (this is not an installer!)
Then go into that directory and start firefox.exe!

Have fun!

Teufellj

RE:Foxfire

Hello Thornc and...THANK YOU...for the help.

Problems I do not have! Many are the situations though.

I have never assumed...anything! Where ever I have been, seen or whatever I have done...there was a price tag somewhere. My pc has...ME Windows and whenever there has been a problem either the cost was prohibitive or there was a catch added on. This has been true for me in life and I have learned the hard way... that to not question what I can't see or locate can be very expensive. So, when this happens a steam whistle goes off loud and clear. On the website for Foxfire, XP was the recommendation, this tells the story that there may be issues.
Again, I thank you,

Teufellj...

charles2

i don't like the way i can't adjust the toolbars at the top of firefox [they seem locked in place], i can't move them around to give me more viewing real estate like i can in IE. On the few pages i tried it it was around the same speed as ie, sometime alittle bit faster but not in loading the COMPLETE page, ie it seems to load page alittle quicker but then takes time to load stuff from that page, whereas IE just loads it all once ready to go, .... just my 1st impressions.

i don't like the fonts used either, looks terrible compared to ie, mabye i just got used to ie cleartype????

impressions...also with IE i just do a windows update and i have any up-dates needed whereas firefox i have to what? remember to periodically go look at a page for updates and i also heard when u upgrade u lose some things in firefox like favorites & themes i think, just remembering from the top of my head..

i hear if you get Maxthon with IE u get integreated tabbed browsing and ad hunter and pop-up stopper

Last edited:

LT

Administrator
Hello LT,

I have checked just on the Mozilla website in your note and have not found a cost. Also, the foxfire is recommended mainly for ...XT...units but not recommended for ...ME and others. Do you know of what the possible problems might be or some discussion group that is into pros and sons for probable usages? I am considering this browser...Foxfire and the Thunderbird ad blocker but need more input.
Thanks,

Teufellj...

Hi Teufellj

From what I know firefox is compatible with all OS. I haven't checked out their email program thunderbird yet.

The only glitch that I know of with firefox is that it sometimes gives a false "website not found" type of error message. just click on the link again and the site is there.

Others here may be more knowledgeable about this browser and the pros and cons.

thornc

charles2:
I agree with you that we should be able to change the position of the toolbars in firefox... it doesn't upset me much because I use small icons and no text so the toolbar is really small!

As for the performance, it all depends on how you configure it... you can load the full page or you can load by items and display as you get them. I use the later, in fact my userContent.css and user.js contain quite a few things in them!
Check this out for some tips!

I on the other hand don't really mind the fonts, I tend to make them all 12pt!

A suggestion for you about IE would be:
Maxthon (MyIE2)
Advanced Browser
Avant Browser

I like the last one, in fact I use it when I need IE compatability!

In any case you will always need IE to access window update and such!

Sidebar