convert older DOS file extensions.

Hello guys, I have a old DOS based Lotto program that uses file types like this (!ALTA649._R_).

I need to convert the history files to a newer lotto program that is not DOS based.
I have tried to use excel 2000 but it cannot recognize it.
Does anyone know of a program that can convert older DOS file extensions.

Thanks in advance good luck to all.
:blush:

Irvin

Hello Tel_screen :wavey:

Thats one funny looking DOS file extension "_R_"

probably only something the original programme recognises.

But the real reason I am replying is;

Have you tried the outfit that runs your lottery?

they might have a downloadable history?

Or check the downloads at this site.

They might already have it.

Regards,

Irvin :wavey: :wavey:

"Have you tried the outfit that runs your lottery?

they might have a downloadable history?

Or check the downloads at this site.

They might already have it."

Irvin thanks for your response
This software in DOS format was the best I have used over the years. A Canadian based company called PC Lotto I had been using sense 1991.
It has a history mode and great wheels and random generated numbers and
It has feathers that cannot be found today. I really wanted to use it rather than these newer ones.
I have had good success from it over the years, yes I can get current lotto files in many places. Just wanted to know if some of the old timers out hear knew of a converter. Well got to get started inputting numbers for the cash 5 game.

Thanks again IRVIN

:dang:

Snides

you could try making a copy of the file and then renaming the extension to .txt to see if it looks recognizable, if it looks like text and you can make out the history/numbers then you could also try renaming it to .csv to see if excel (or other spreadsheet programs) can open it..

If it's not recognizable in .txt format then it's probably saved as ASCII which would take a fair bit of work to convert..

hard to say what format it is without seeing it..

Great Idea Snides
However after renaming the file still no go. You were right they were in ASCII format and I don’t have the technical skills to convert them. I have finished manually inputting the history files back into the Lotto program and it works fine. That was a lot of work but it’s worth it to use this program.

Thanks and good hunting
:agree:

CDEX

Tel_screen,

Two suggestions ...

1. Instead of converting the old data file to a different format -- can't you just download the game's history from its own Web site (as was already suggested by another player)?

... Download it into a plain text file and import it into your new software. Will that work?

2. Depending on what version of Windows you're using -- you might be able to do some screen captures from your old software, and paste that data into a plain text file.

... Usually Windows gives you "Mark" and "Copy" buttons so you can highlight any text in your DOS window, copy it, and paste it into Notepad or another text editor.

Hope it helps.

Joe
CDEX

Tel_screen said:
Great Idea Snides
However after renaming the file still no go. You were right they were in ASCII format and I don’t have the technical skills to convert them. I have finished manually inputting the history files back into the Lotto program and it works fine. That was a lot of work but it’s worth it to use this program.

Thanks and good hunting
:agree:
You can use some Text editor freeware that will take care of ASCII format.... :agree:

Sidebar