Chess..

thornc

Any chess players around??

Anyone interested can go to freechess.org and have fun playing online!

You can download Winboard or Jin and use any of those as the interface...

You can even play against me from time to time... I can manage, but I'm not very good!!

So lotto friends, what do you say? Let's become Chess friends also??

(LT, if you have a problem with this you can delete it....)

I always like chess ...a lot like the lotto...Nothing beats good intuitions....this is why man still can compeat with machines or computers way better than him in terms of memory, and calculations....But no computer yet does have intuition like the good old Homo-sapiens....
I am not very good at chess either...
:D

thornc

Dennis...
So what do you say, how about a nice friendly game?

You can get Jin, which is java based and run it on linux :agree: or windows!
Or just use use WinBoard or XBoard.... your choice...

Scholars generally agree that chess originated as a war game in India during the seventh century altough evidence is scanty. It was known as ''chanturanga'' a Sanskrit word referring to the four elements of an army, elephants,horses, chariots and soldiers.From India chess made its way to Persia and was taken to Europe by the Arab conquerors of Spain. In Europe the names and characters of the pieces changed: The Persian shah became the King.The Persian vizier became the queen.The Indian elephants became the bishops.The Arabic horses became the Knights. The foot soldiers became the pawns...The least understood piece is the rook, or castle. How such a piece came to be represented by a castle still remains a mystery.
In 1779, Benjamin Franklin wrote:
''Chess can teach foresight, which looks in the future...circumspection, which surveys the whole board...caution, not to make moves too quickly...lasty, hope for change, not to be discouraged by present bad appearances''
As I said just like lotto...
:lol:

thornc said:
Dennis...
So what do you say, how about a nice friendly game?

You can get Jin, which is java based and run it on linux :agree: or windows!
Or just use use WinBoard or XBoard.... your choice...
I'm not saying no...But I can't now I have 30 students in front of me ......Perhaps some other times... :agree:

thornc

Pardon Dennis,

I keep forgetting that you are all in different time frames....

Chess in English
Xadrez in Portugueese
Scacchi in Italian
Ajedrez in Spanish
I tought that I knew a few translations, but this
guy
seems to know them all! :dizzy:

I like chess because it help my brain gymnastics... and it also helps me think under pressure!!
Nothing like a nice game of blitz chess!!

system13

I like playing Shah :) as well, so we could arrange a duel thornc as soon as I get the application...I think weekends would suite us fine regarding the time issue :D

My profile says it all,though, I'm not a master :dizzy:

Cheers
:)

thornc

system13 said:
I think weekends would suite us fine regarding the time issue :D

My profile says it all,though, I'm not a master :dizzy:

The weekends could be a problem for me, because here I only have internet access at work... if you set it up I can come in and play a bit...

Don't worry, I'm no expert myself... I can move the pieces and think ahead a bit and that about it! But I do feel I have been improving my game since I have been playing online. Human players with better skills then you are alot friendlier than your computer game,

It's like loto, the more you put your head into the game the better your understanding. (Not considering the results!)

system13

thornc said:
The weekends could be a problem for me, because here I only have internet access at work... if you set it up I can come in and play a bit...

I see,well, I work from 9 a.m thru 5 p.m, but although I've Internet access at work as well I cannot use it for entertainment, harsh boss you know,but then again we can play when we're both online, I'm set and ready to make some moves :)

Che(er)ss :)

system13

I'm using Winboard, but I didn't figure it out yet how to find you.
:blush:
Maybe for the beginning you could approach to me, I'm assigned as GuestQKYJ.

system13

well, obviously I said hop without jumping, I've to read he help files first, we'll play some other time.Sorry mate for the inconvinience.

thornc

system13 said:
congratulations thornc for the first win :)

Thanks.... I still saw this, before turnning off the computer!

You almost got me there at the beggining! But then you were under time pressure!

I still don't know all the options for the commands, but we'll get there... next week when I have the time I'll look at the other GUI programas for freechess!

Anyway, thanks for the game...

system13

Thank you thornc as well, I've to get more familiar with the program ,but at least running away from your attacs was quite interesting,the pressure was tremendous indeed :).Well done mate and looking forward to the next matches.

Cheers
:)

Sidebar