Checking Winning Numbers

Icewynd

Came across this blog post on using the excel function COUNTIF to check your winning numbers.

http://blog.contextures.com/archives/2013/10/15/check-winning-numbers-with-countif-function/

Basically, this does a count if any of your number picks match any of the drawn numbers and the result will tell you if you have won a prize. This will be most useful for those who play the same numbers each draw or for those who play the same number of tickets each draw (result of a wheel).

Enjoy :thumb:

PAB

Hi Icewynd,

Icewynd said:
Came across this blog post on using the excel function COUNTIF to check your winning numbers.

http://blog.contextures.com/archives/2013/10/15/check-winning-numbers-with-countif-function/

Basically, this does a count if any of your number picks match any of the drawn numbers and the result will tell you if you have won a prize. This will be most useful for those who play the same numbers each draw or for those who play the same number of tickets each draw (result of a wheel).
I am sure that members and visitors on this Forum will find this VERY useful, nice find :thumb: .

Regards,
PAB
:wavey:

-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-
12:45, restate my assumptions.
(1) Mathematics is the language of nature.
(2) Everything around us can be represented and understood through numbers.
(3) If you graph the numbers of any system, patterns emerge. Therefore, there are patterns, everywhere in nature.

Icewynd

Thanks, PAB!

Certainly COUNTIF is one of the most valuable tools in the lottery player's excel toolbox.

:thumb:

PAB

Hi Icewynd,

Icewynd said:
Certainly COUNTIF is one of the most valuable tools in the lottery player's excel toolbox.
I totally agree :agree: .

Also I might add, is SUMPRODUCT, which can also be used in conjunction with COUNTIF for a more complicated calculation.

Regards,
PAB

-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-
(3) If you graph the numbers of any system, patterns emerge. Therefore, there are patterns, everywhere in nature.

Icewynd

I've never really been able to wrap my head around SUMPRODUCT.

Maybe someday some knowledgeable person will put together an explanation "for dummies" (hint, hint).

:thumb:

PAB

Hi Icewynd,

Icewynd said:
I've never really been able to wrap my head around SUMPRODUCT.

Maybe someday some knowledgeable person will put together an explanation "for dummies" (hint, hint).
Using SUMPRODUCT to a certain extent does away with ARRAY formulas, which as you know are entered using Ctrl+Shift+Enter and prolong calculation time, as well as increasing file size.
Here are a couple of lessons that I think explain SUMPRODUCT quite well, along with several examples.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxpeEf8MYaY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2ulQwMmlmY

I hope you find them useful.

Regards,
PAB

PAB

Hi Icewynd,

Icewynd said:
I will check those out.
You're more than welcome mate, I hope it makes the use of SUMPRODUCT a bit clearer and shows what a powerfull tool it can be :thumb: .

Regards,
PAB

Sidebar