Why is nothing ever straight forward?

PAB

Hi everyone,

Last week I could not login to this forum. It got to "Thank you for logging in, PAB." with the "Redirecting..." message and then just hung and did nothing!

On investigation, and a few emails to LT, I discovered that it had nothing to do with this site and that it was for some other reason. I then set about trying to figure out what the problem was with I.E.9.

I tried logging in with FireFox and that was OK.

I deleted my browsing history, the cache and Cookies, but still no good.

I then checked to see if there was a Windows update for I.E.9, but there wasn't.

I reset my I.E.9 settings back to default, still no good.

I ran the MicroSoftFixIt50195.msi, still no good.

I checked that Compatability Mode was enabled and it was.

I scrutinised the "F12 Developer Tools" and they appeared to be OK.

I exported my favourites and uninstalled and then reinstalled I.E.9 and did the Windows updates, still no good.

I then ran CCleaner in Safe Mode, still no good.

I run a virus scan in Safe Mode, still no good.

I flushed the DNS cache, still no good.

I did think that I had found the cause when I found that after the reinstall of I.E.9 and the import back of my favourites that this site had got added to the Tools>Internet Options>Security>Restricted Sites>Websites collection for some reason, so I deleted it out of there for starters, still no good.

I thought there might be a RootKit virus so I ran a bit of software to find out if there was but that turned out to be OK.

Well, as it turned out, I am not sure how, but my registry had got corrupted. So I set about rebuilding it, what a job that was, and not something that can be done in half an hour either. Anyway, that worked out well and I managed to get rid of loads of registry keys that were no longer relevant for software that had been at one time or another installed, along with empty registry keys and keys that pointed to empty or non existant folders. I then ran a Registry defrag and all was working sweetly.

I spend quite a few hours a week on my computer and the Internet so I do clean my computer on a regular basis. I must admit that rebuilding my registry has definately had a positive effect on the performance.

On a side note, it does annoy me that application and software developers make such a poor job of the uninstall process, leaving fragments of files and registry information still on your hard drive after the uninstall process has completed. MicroSoft is one of the worst culprits of this believe it or not. That is why I never use the Windows built in uninstall programs or the uninstall program from the actual application.

I just thought that someone might find this interesting or maybe even useful in the future.

Regards,
PAB
:wavey:

-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-
12:45, restate my assumptions.
(1) Mathematics is the language of nature.
(2) Everything around us can be represented and understood through numbers.
(3) If you graph the numbers of any system, patterns emerge. Therefore, there are patterns, everywhere in nature.

martor54

Hi PAB,
You are quite right to raise the issue of maintenance. Sometimes we are not aware how important this is. Keeping HD clean and in good order makes the computer faster and more stable and keeps us away from trouble. I am using CCleaner as well. Besides that, there are other utilities one can download for free on "CNET Download":

Tweak UI = remove all animation, smooth scrolling, baloon tips, set menu speed to "fast", etc.;

Free Windows Registry Repair 2.7 = removes a lot of unnecessary registry items (should be run several times in a sessions);

Auslogics Disk Defrag = set defrag priority to "high", apply "Defrag and Optimize";

Wise Disk Cleaner = good remover of junk files;

Wise Registry Cleaner = set scanning mode to "Deep"

TuneXP 1.5. = re-arranges files for fast boot/shutdown.

VS Revo Uninstaller is very good (option to scan for/remove leftover traces). Sadly, Revo is for money, the rest are free. Sometimes, the improvement may be only marginal. Owners of modest CPU's may find these programs / operations more useful. There is also all-in-one software but I'd rather have small individual utilities for each operation as they tend to be better.

I hope this info helps someone out there. Again, thank you PAB for raising the issue.

martor54

PAB

Hi everyone,

I just thought I would follow up on martor54's informative post (there is a FREE version of Revo Uninstaller by the way) and share what software programs/utilities that I use.
I use different programs/utilities for whatever task I want to perform. Over the years I have tried MANY of the FREE programs/utilities that are out there and here are the ones that I personally found to be the most effective and do what they say on the tin. Most of these programs/utilities are customizable to suit users individual needs.

Advanced System Care which is an all round cleanup program/utility which includes the following under the listed sections:

Care
Malware Removal
Privacy Sweep
Registry Defrag
Internet Boost
Security Defense
Vulnerability Fix
Registry Fix
Junk Files Clean
Shortcut Fix
System Optimization
Disk Scan
Disk Defragment

There is a Toolbox section which includes the following:

Clean
Uninstaller
Malware Fighter
Disk Cleaner
File Shredder

Optimize
Smart RAM
Internet Booster
Startup Manager
Registry Defrag
Smart Defrag
Game Booster

Repair
Undelete
Disk Doctor
Win Fix
IE Helper

Security
Driver Manager
SysExplorer
Process Manager
Unlocker

Control
Auto Shutdown
System Information
System Control
Protected Folder

Advanced
ASC Portable Version
Disk Explorer
Cloned Files Scanner
Empty Folder Scanner

I have only listed above the ones that you get in the FREE edition, there are others that are included in the paid Professional edition.

It also includes a Turbo Boost which is very good.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Auslogics Disk Defrag for defragging the hard drive.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CCleaner which I use for general cleaning, but NOT for cleaning the registry. It also has a very good Wipe FREE Space option which I run every three months or so, depending on what I had been doing within that time period.

Defraggler for defragging the hard drive.

Glary Utilities for an all round clean up and optimization.
Depending on whether you are using version 2 or version 3 these are the different sections, based on version 3:

1-Click Maintenance
Registry Cleaner
Shortcuts Fixer
Spyware Remover
Disk Repair
Tracks Eraser
Temporary Files Cleaner
Startup Manager

There is a Advanced Tools section which includes the following:

Windows Registry
Repair
Defragment
Backup
Restore

Disk Space
Cleanup
Remove Duplicates
Remove Empty Folders
Remove Broken Shortcuts
Explorer Disks

System Tweaks
Free Up Memory
Browser Assistant

Anti-Malware
Remove Malwares

Privacy
Erase History
Shred Files
Wipe Free Space
Encrypt Files

System Control
Startup Items
Services
Scheduled Tasks
Context Menus
Processes

System Status
System Information
Backup Yout Computer
Repair System Files
System Restore
Undo Changes

Hard Disks
Defragment
Boot Defragment
Chech For Errors

Drivers
Backup
Restore
Uninstall

File Management
Split Files
Restore Deleted Files
Quick Search

Programs
Uninstall
Check For Updates
Find More Software

Revo Uninstaller to uninstall programs including leftover fragments and registry entries.

I have deliberately NOT stated sections or parts of the above I use for any particular task, as I feel that this is an individual choice by the user and depends on what system they are using and what benefit they hope to gain.
The cleaning sections can delete all the traces of your Internet browsing including the history of sites visited, this obviously may not suit all so it can be customized to leave say the history of sites visited etc.
There are too many parameters to cover and give individual descriptions of what each of the above does so I suggest that if you decide to download any of the above, then spend a bit of time finding out what each does and if that will suit your needs. A Google search will help you to understand more about each item and you will see feedback, good or bad, from other users.

As I said previously, over the years I have tried MANY MANY of these programs/utilities and the above are those that suit my particular needs and do what they say on the tin. I run all of the above in Safe Mode which I highly recommend for speed and a very much cleaner optimization and clean.

I hope at least someone finds this useful!!!

Regards,
PAB

-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-
(3) If you graph the numbers of any system, patterns emerge. Therefore, there are patterns, everywhere in nature.

PAB

Just as a follow up to my previous post.

I have tried...

Advanced System Care Ultimate Edition
CCleaner Business Edition
CCleaner Professional Edition
Glary Utilities Professional Edition
Revo Uninstaller Professional Edition

...and have found them all to be excellent and worthwhile. I do think however, that if you way up the cost of purchasing these packages against what the average day to day users needs are, that in the majority of cases the FREE versions are quite adequate for their needs. All of the above do give you a more in depth optimization and clean and are really aimed at heavy computer users as opposed to occasional computer users.

Just my personal opinion.

Regards,
PAB

Icewynd

Hi PAB,

Missed you on the boards last week, but thought that you were enjoying some summer leisure. WRONG! :burnt:

What a frustrating experience. But thank you for posting the procedure and tools that you used to resolve these problems. I am sure that everyone will find these posts very useful.

And now, hopefully, back to our regularly scheduled programming...

:thumb:

PAB

Hi Icewynd,

Icewynd said:
Missed you on the boards last week, but thought that you were enjoying some summer leisure. WRONG! :burnt:

What a frustrating experience. But thank you for posting the procedure and tools that you used to resolve these problems. I am sure that everyone will find these posts very useful.
Thanks Icewynd, I was indeed also enjoying the sun that unfortunately we don't get as often that we should.
Although my experience was a pain it did lead me to do something that I had been planning to do for a while now, and that was to rebuild my registry, a worthwhile task as it turned out in the end.
Obviously the way that I managed to resolve my particular problem suited what the particular problem was that I had and maybe it would not be the resolution for others with the same problem, but at least it should point them in the right direction.

BTW Icewynd, LT has kindly added a sticky for the Text To Columns procedure that we discussed in a previous thread.

Regards,
PAB

15tons

Theory of a Down

Wow PAB ! what a thorough and exhaustive solution and ordeal you endured.
I'm fairly daft regarding any sort of computer /system maintaining ; so this is a great crib sheet you have provided here.
Never a nice experience when the Computer Grinch comes a prowling! :santa:

Sidebar