Test-Driving Some Big Wheels

Icewynd

No, I'm not talking about Monster Trucks! :D

I came across the winner of the UK National Lottery Wheeling Challenge.

http://lottery.merseyworld.com/Wheel/

Designed by Peter Rosendahl, this wheel guarantees a 3-number win in a 6/49 lottery, but requires 163 combinations to accomplish that task. Probably not an option for those of us who have not yet won the lottery!

However, I was curious as to what kind of return one might get on a wheel like this -- how much of the ticket price would be covered by the returns of smaller prizes?

I ran the wheel against all the results from Ontario49 from January 3, 2009 thru July 6, 2013, a total of 470 draws. Of course, one should check against millions of draw results, but I felt that this was enough to give me the answer that I wanted.

In fact the wheel lived up to its promise of giving at least one 3-number win for each draw. 1,357 3-number prizes were won over the 470 draws, an average of 2.9 3-number prizes for each draw. The wheel also generated 77 4-number wins and 2 5-number prizes over the 470 draws.

Based on the prize structure of the ON49 game ($5 for 3 numbers, $50 for 4 numbers, $500 for 5 numbers) and a $0.50 ticket price this wheel returned $11,635 in prizes compared to an expenditure of $38,305 or about $0.30 per dollar spent.

By way of comparison, I also ran LT's "100 Harmonized Lotto 649 Bets"

http://www.lottotutor.com/category/100-lotto-649-numbers/

This is not a wheel, but a list of 100 combinations that have been massaged to match the structure of the 649 game.

This set of combinations did not win a 3-number prize every game, but did win 779 prizes over the 470 games, missing 79 times. It also won 48 4-number prizes and 3 5-number prizes for a total return of $8,120 over 470 games at a cost of $23,500 giving a return of $0.35 per dollar spent.

This comparison would indicate that the "guarantee" of the first wheel is quite expensive, with the smaller group of combinations giving a comparable level of prizes.

While this is not definitive, due to the relatively small number of draws tested, I thought that it was interesting enough to report on.

:thumb:

blitzed

hiya Icewynd, thanx!

yup, for some folks big wheel keep on turnin, and wallet keep on burnin:eek:

cya,
blitzed:bounce2:

PAB

Hi Icewynd,

Icewynd said:
I came across the winner of the UK National Lottery Wheeling Challenge.

http://lottery.merseyworld.com/Wheel/

Designed by Peter Rosendahl, this wheel guarantees a 3-number win in a 6/49 lottery, but requires 163 combinations to accomplish that task. Probably not an option for those of us who have not yet won the lottery!

However, I was curious as to what kind of return one might get on a wheel like this -- how much of the ticket price would be covered by the returns of smaller prizes?

I ran the wheel against all the results from Ontario49 from January 3, 2009 thru July 6, 2013, a total of 470 draws. Of course, one should check against millions of draw results, but I felt that this was enough to give me the answer that I wanted.

In fact the wheel lived up to its promise of giving at least one 3-number win for each draw. 1,357 3-number prizes were won over the 470 draws, an average of 2.9 3-number prizes for each draw. The wheel also generated 77 4-number wins and 2 5-number prizes over the 470 draws.

Based on the prize structure of the ON49 game ($5 for 3 numbers, $50 for 4 numbers, $500 for 5 numbers) and a $0.50 ticket price this wheel returned $11,635 in prizes compared to an expenditure of $38,305 or about $0.30 per dollar spent.

By way of comparison, I also ran LT's "100 Harmonized Lotto 649 Bets"

http://www.lottotutor.com/category/100-lotto-649-numbers/

This is not a wheel, but a list of 100 combinations that have been massaged to match the structure of the 649 game.

This set of combinations did not win a 3-number prize every game, but did win 779 prizes over the 470 games, missing 79 times. It also won 48 4-number prizes and 3 5-number prizes for a total return of $8,120 over 470 games at a cost of $23,500 giving a return of $0.35 per dollar spent.

This comparison would indicate that the "guarantee" of the first wheel is quite expensive, with the smaller group of combinations giving a comparable level of prizes.

While this is not definitive, due to the relatively small number of draws tested, I thought that it was interesting enough to report on.
Yes, Richard K. Lloyd's MerseyWorld site is VERY good for upto date Lotto information, statistics, and historical draws in both drawn sequence and sorted sequence, if you live in the UK that is! I have spoken to him several times in the past.

That is a VERY interesting statistical analysis comparison that you have done Icewynd :thumb: .

Regards,
PAB
:wavey:

-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-
12:45, restate my assumptions.
(1) Mathematics is the language of nature.
(2) Everything around us can be represented and understood through numbers.
(3) If you graph the numbers of any system, patterns emerge. Therefore, there are patterns, everywhere in nature.

Sidebar