Semi Mini Super Computer

bloubul

Hi All Computer Guru's

What do I need to build myself a Semi Mini Super Computer.
I have 10"G's" to spend on it

BlouBul :cool:

Teufellj

Blobul

Hello there,

I would get plans drawn for the items that you would want and have an add on or way to increase your future needs. When this is done...get it patented! Next get hold of underground geeks that think nothing but computerese and then make your proposal. Some of these folks are extremely off of the wall so you have to nail them down on cost, patent rights etc....! I have found that to get something done you almost have to do the building yourself because in general a commercial outfit think in terms of money and not always what the customer requests per se. You are considering spending a short bundle of capital but you will have to work with others somewhere along the line. Whenever this happens...get those people under written contract because your budget can get whacked if you are not on top of the ins and outs on the financial end. It's best to know where your limitations are and plan for money leaks that won't kill your enthusiasm as time goes bye. You will need a great sense of humor for the aggrivations that will crop up! To go with the computer that you want---consider a static free environment! I won't add any more comments but consideration around the computer can be just as important as the electromechanical device itself.

Good luck with your plans,

Teufellj...:smokin:

HalfBee

Also consider that many of the high end components (such as processors) can't be shipped outside the country of origin without heavy tariffs or restrictions. Another point is if you have the knowledge to usefully use such a highly technical system, it would probably need a custom operating system (guessing some variation of linux) and would compatability be an issue.

bloubul

Hi Guys

Thanks for the response, but tell me which is the fastest Motherboard that can take multiple processors, and the fastest processors and ram on the market.

HalfBee

Did some research (was fun and made me drool alot) you should go to the Tyan.com web site and check some of the vendors under 'where to buy' most have a configuration of options for the 4 cpu & 8 cpu systems (AMD only).

The 4 cpu system uses dual or quad core CPUs so you can get up to 16 cores and double that in the 8 cpu system totalling 32 cores. They mention 6 core models but there isn't any specific information about doing that.

Once you start going multiple CPUs (and the ram that goes with them) the money starts adding up fast. I think most of the sites are a bit inflated in price for ram/CPU/drives so could possibly order barebones chasis and buy the parts cheaper and install yourself. Check newegg.com for component prices (especially ram & drives).

8 cpu (32 cores) with 64Gb Ram 2-1tb hard drives came in about $9900
Good thing it does support enterprise editions of Windows or Linux for compatability.

Check out some of the configurations and see if this will suit your needs...

bloubul

Hi HalfBee

Thanks for the info. Will check it out. It does help to ask other people aswell. These computer shops they take us for a loop, and they still look you in the eyes.

bloubul

Hi time*treat

Due to Governmental red tape I’m unable to purchases the mother board from newegg.com, 8 cpu (32 cores) with 64Gb Ram 2-1tb hard drives, @ $9900.00. I must be registered as a Importer of goods, and I must pay Import duties plus tax, so the board will cost in the region of $17000.00, not worth my effort. So for now it has been placed on hold.

blitzed

lame...perhaps you could harness the power of clustered Linux machines :)
http://lcic.org/distros.html
http://www.gdargaud.net/Hack/ClusterNotes.html

cheers!
blitzed:thumb:

bloubul

Hi blitzed

Thanks for the info, will look into it, personally I'm not a big fan of Linux with its open source.

blitzed

bloubul said:
Hi blitzed

Thanks for the info, will look into it, personally I'm not a big fan of Linux with its open source.

hiya bloubul, what don't you like about opensource? lack of support? some Linux distributions are very refined, putting together some of their own programs, and charge a small fee for professional long term support just as Microsoft does.

many varieties of Linux are no longer homebrew patchworks of geeky programs...instead they can provide a robust & cohesive operating system.

If anyone wants to checkout Linux, I usually recommend booting your computer with a live CD/DVD...Linux Mint 9 is probably the best for anyone thinking about trying to transition from Windows to Linux:
http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=55
the mini-DVD above has the best default set of programs to browse websites, play music & videos and all, right out of the starting gates. here are other variations:
http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Burn a CD/DVD from the ISO file, and your computer can be booted into a live desktop to try, no need t install.

Also, install WINE, and many Windows programs will run, and can sometimes even run the SETUP.EXE installers. Very few Windows-based programs I care about...I enjoy using a fractal graphics program, surprised it works with all the complex calculations...likewise I use a program that generates tide prediction charts for when I want to go fishing.

Here are some useful links for trying to find Linux equivalents of some Windows-based programs:
http://linuxappfinder.com/
http://www.linuxalt.com/

cheers!

time*treat

bloubul: Ah, too bad about the bureaucrats getting between you and your jackpot. A fallback is that just about anything you can do in one language, you can do in another (even though you may have to write the functions yourself or find someone who solved the same problem). That includes writing distributed applications. :beer:

blitzed: gonna check out some of those links :thumb:

blitzed

hiya time*treat, no kidding, government redtape is a real downer.

I'm a big fan of opensource innovation...great when developers do co-op releases, resulting in a better product...especially taking cues from an active user community.

sometimes commercial products go stagnant, author loses interest...with opensource they can pass the reigns, or a new project may branch off from the original.

anyway, I hopeya find somethin useful in those links.

catchya later,

Sidebar