Randomness of numbers

peter

There has been alot of discussion and comments made recently, regarding the randomness of numbers, as oppossed to the study of the history of a lottery.
Let me pose the following questions.
Can the random drawing of a ball indicate a pattern?
Can a pattern indicate a trend?
I think so!!
Alot of us here study the patterns and trends of each number for each draw.
If in fact there are no trends then why is it, that some numbers come more often, and some less often, when in fact each number is equal.
Why do some numbers come more often with another number, than with others.
For example .... the number one has come more often in draws that end in 3 (42) times to be exact,but has only come (19) times in draws that end in 4.
These are the sorts of trends we all study here, and enjoy doing so, that is why we are gathered here to discuss these things.
I welcome your thoughts.

peter

You are correct, Having been away for so long I'm a bit rusty, Perhaps LT will move it to the appropriate forum.:agree2:

peter

One thought on randomness I wanted to include was this.
If the draw is so random, why are we allowed to fill in bet slips made up of numbers of our own choosing? Why not do away with this and just issue QP's to all who wish to play, After all..... it is Just a random draw;) wink, wink, nudge,nudge.;) :D

Randal

Some people believe playing numbers like their birthdays are lucky. Actually in ratio, people that play numbers win more than quick pick buyers. The problem is, usually quick picks win because more people buy them.

Now with this lottery system, every draw is supposed to be independant of the last and totally random at that. But I have to admit statistics can play a good part in winning the lotto.

For example: I flip a coin 10 times. 10 heads come up.
Now if I clip this coin one more time, what is more likely to come up given that I already got 10 heads?

Well, depending on how you flip it and the coin itself you should have a 1/2 chance of getting heads or tails but given the results of the previous 10 flips you could argue that the next flip showing tails is a more likely outcome.

Snowy

peter said:
There has been alot of discussion and comments made recently, regarding the randomness of numbers, as oppossed to the study of the history of a lottery.
Let me pose the following questions.
Can the random drawing of a ball indicate a pattern?
Can a pattern indicate a trend?
I think so!!
Alot of us here study the patterns and trends of each number for each draw.
If in fact there are no trends then why is it, that some numbers come more often, and some less often, when in fact each number is equal.
Why do some numbers come more often with another number, than with others.
For example .... the number one has come more often in draws that end in 3 (42) times to be exact,but has only come (19) times in draws that end in 4.
These are the sorts of trends we all study here, and enjoy doing so, that is why we are gathered here to discuss these things.

I think you are mis understanding the meaning of random, if aech ball came out an equal amount of times it is not random so if each ball appears an uequal amount of time it is shown to be a random result so 'unequal = random'.
I welcome your thoughts.

Beaker

Moved from another thread, here, by Beaker

Beaker said:
Not likely to see that 1-2-3-4-5-6 since the sum of that draw is at the end of the tail of the distribution.

The draws are random, or I should say as random as the lotto companies can make them. Randomness can be verified statistically.

Randomness is true over many draws. But, you can take advantage of what can only be described as short-term bias.

There are strategies that will help you, and that is good enough for me NOT to play QPiks.

Stay tuned .... :dizzy: :dance1:

Beaker said:
Moved from another thread, here, by Beaker
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by Beaker
Not likely to see that 1-2-3-4-5-6 since the sum of that draw is at the end of the tail of the distribution.

The draws are random, or I should say as random as the lotto companies can make them. Randomness can be verified statistically.

Randomness is true over many draws. But, you can take advantage of what can only be described as short-term bias.

There are strategies that will help you, and that is good enough for me NOT to play QPiks.

Stay tuned ....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
O:K: Let the math teacher pronounced himself here on that subject of 01-02-03-04-05-06 and Why not 07 as the bonus...
I will say this...Lets say we take as a population,When the numbers of draws will reach the totallities of numbers of possible combinations..Do you think that all the possible combinations will have already struck at least one time?
Of course not...Many extreme set and others too will be missing...
Now if we replicate this many many times (number of draws=number of possibilities of combinations)I will say to you that at one point all that have not come out... will come out...
Gilles D is right when he is saying that you can't tell for sure that it won't come in the very next draw or when it will...These draws being ramdom..
But it is at the same time one of the most ''on the edge for not coming up often'' and for that I refer to the bell curve....Having said that....When the total numbers of draws will reach about half of the possible numbers of combinations or close to it ..we will start to see previous winners coming up again...in fact we will have at one point 1 chance out of 2 of seeing that happening...I'm not saying that it will not happen before that... in fact it could happen in the very next draw ...but it will not happen often and certainly not as often as when we will reach half numbers of draws of the total possible combinations or close to it .
And to me that define ramdom...Because if you take each number individually you will find out that in these many different populations the number of times that each number will come out will tend to be the same...(re 6/49,31 included)despite the fact that some sets of 6 or 7 numbers do not or has not come as often as other ones...
It is clear to me that 01-02-03-04-05-06 and bonus 07 or 01-02-03-04-05-07 and bonus 06 or any of these arangements is on the edge and they are extreme sets as far away to the bell curve as they can be...Without saying that it will never come...To me it is most unlikely that they will come up and it is certainly most unlikely that these sets will come up often...
And this is precisely why we can have expected values for this or that...Otherwise everything would be unexpected or impossible to expect...
:agree:

peter

Dennis, no one here expects to live long enough to see half of the possible combinations come up. That is why I will." Will" my 649 files to my great,great, great grandchildren.:D

peter said:
Dennis, no one here expects to live long enough to see half of the possible combinations come up. That is why I will." Will" my 649 files to my great,great, great grandchildren.:D
You just reminded me that I have to make a correction into my will... :lol:

LT

Administrator
That is why I will." Will" my 649 files to my great,great, great grandchildren.

Peter .. that is a very smart way to beat the long term odds :D

Isn't 649 everywhere!?

Randal U R correct it is nearly everywhere ... now but correct me if I'm wrong .. isn't the 649 thing sort of Canadian? Yes SA and India now have the 649 but they are young lotteries in comparision to the CAN 649. How long has Camelot been running? Is the UK 649 as old as the Canuck 649? I think that in the lotto world for 649 Canada has the best history .. EH? :lol:

Randal

I don't know but if you want my unprofessional opinion the jackpots for both 649 and Super7 here are incredibly low. So I think this Canadian 649 isn't all it's cracked up to be.

Especially since there are almost never any $10M draws! >:|

Canada has the best history for cheap lottos! heh

thornc

Randal said:

Canada has the best history for cheap lottos! heh

Wrong, Portugal's Totoloto and Loto2 win that honnor...
to have a 1M$ prize here one must have more than 4 draws with no winners!!!

Brad

LT said:
... <snip> ... Is the UK 649 as old as the Canuck 649? I think that in the lotto world for 649 Canada has the best history .. EH? :lol:

Speaking of 'old' lottos, the Czech's have a 6/49 that started on Apr.22, 1957 ... in a few weeks it'll be 47 years old !! How's that for a data base ? To my knowledge their payouts don't bounce. ;)

Sidebar