Markov Chain theory

cdrake

Has anybody done any work with Markov chains lately? I had a small utility that I would run from the command prompt, but it was rather cumbersome to use. I was thinking of revisiting it and seeing how it would behave with some of my newer theories...Just askin.

martor54

Hi cdrake,
Maybe combined somehow with Bayes. Can you share with us what you have in mind?
Regards,
martor54

Icewynd

Hi CDrake and Martor,

I am interested in the application of Markov Chains to the lottery, but haven't come across anything that describes specifically how the theory should be applied.

According to Wikipedia:
A Markov chain (discrete-time Markov chain or DTMC[1]) named after Andrey Markov, is a mathematical system that undergoes transitions from one state to another on a state space. It is a random process usually characterized as memoryless: the next state depends only on the current state and not on the sequence of events that preceded it. This specific kind of "memorylessness" is called the Markov property. Markov chains have many applications as statistical models of real-world processes.

So, this would seem to describe the random process of a lottery number as it changes from one state (e.g. 27) to another state (e.g. 32). Or am I off base here?

Anyway, I have created an excel spreadsheet that applies this process to lottery numbers by position.

For example, if the last draw had the number 7 in the first position, I can see from my spreadsheet that this has happened 94 times in 1,690 draws and that the transitions to the next draw are to a lower number 58.5% of the time, remaining the same (i.e. repeat in position) 5.3% of the time and transitioning to a higher number the remaining 36.2% of the time. I can also see that 43% of the time the number that followed 7 in the first position was between 1 and 4 and that 1 followed 7 19.4% of the time and 2 followed 7 10.8% of the time (as well a probability for every other number). I can see that no number higher than 22 has yet followed 7 in the first position.

But, even with all this information, the spreadsheet doesn't seem to be very helpful in predicting a specific number for the next draw, or even a tight range of numbers.

Is there something more that I should be doing here?

Martor -- you suggested combining with Bayes Theorem. I'm not a mathematician, so how would that work?

Looking forward to your insights,

:thumb:

cdrake

Hi Icewynd. I just new from some of the trials that I had conducted with the Markov utility, that I downloaded from Ions site years ago, that most of the combinations produced from the program were heavily weighted towards those numbers in the most recent draws. Sometimes I would get 3 or 4 number hits and a lot of times I wouldn't get any. It all comes down to consistency for me.

Icewynd

cdrake said:
Hi Icewynd. I just new from some of the trials that I had conducted with the Markov utility, that I downloaded from Ions site years ago, that most of the combinations produced from the program were heavily weighted towards those numbers in the most recent draws. Sometimes I would get 3 or 4 number hits and a lot of times I wouldn't get any. It all comes down to consistency for me.

So you are saying that Saliu's program seems to drop numbers that haven't come out recently? That makes sense. :agree:

I'm not sure if his stuff is still available, but I hate having to go into DOS to run his programs, so probably won't bother. I guess I've gotten spoiled by all the bells and whistles produced by modern software.

Good luck!

:thumb:

Sidebar