Last Digt Analysis in a 49 number Lottery

Icewynd

Lately, I have been breaking the winning lottery numbers down into first and last digits. For example: 3,14,26,39,41,42 would be broken down into first digits (decades) 0,1,2,3,4,4 and last digits 3,4,6,9,1,2. I then analyse the 10 last digits in the same way that I do for the digit lottery games (Pick 2,3,4).

One way I have of looking at these digits is to look for "strings", i.e. a group of digits that have hit at least one digit in every one of the last number of draws. Currently this string is 237 and it has been running for a record-breaking 114 draws! What this means is, for the last 114 draws at least one of the following numbers has hit:

This string is due to break -- that is none of the string numbers will hit in an upcoming draw, possibly tonight. I would avoid playing these numbers until the string breaks.

Good Luck! :thumb:

Icewynd

'Nother thing... look at the last 2 draws:

09-14-16 03 05 17 18 35 46 (10)
09-17-16 14 16 25 39 45 47 (26)

Both draws have featured double last digts (5). This is fairly rare, but most of the time when it happens the digit does not appear in the following draw.

So for tonight I would avoid 05,15,25,35,and 45.

Icewynd

Currently this string is 237 and it has been running for a record-breaking 114 draws! What this means is, for the last 114 draws at least one of the following numbers has hit:

Well, the string 237 didn't break this draw, with 33 hitting. I am going to play the same strategy for the next draw, as no string of 3 digits has survived this long in 20 years of data.

I was correct about the last digit "5" not hitting.

Frank

Fascinating analysis Icewynd. So for the 237 you are using that as shorthand for any second digit of 2 or any second digit of 3 or any second digit of 7, you are saying that for 114 draws at least one ball has had one if those digital endings. How did you arrive at the conclusion that the chain is about to break? Is this based on past observations or some mathematical calculation? I dare say it would be possible to whizz through all the combinations and check for the above criteria, and see what percentage of them satisfy it, hence arrive at an average cycle time for the chain not to break.

Icewynd

Thanks for your question, Frank! :wavey:

I conclude that the chain is about to break because, never in 20 years has any possible combination of 3 last digits run for this long.

The median length of these runs is 46 games, 95% finish before 73 games in a row, and the previous record long run was 94 games. This run of 115 games is extreme (99.99999th percentile) and WILL break soon (but probably not as soon as I would like!).

Icewynd

String 237:

Well, rather that breaking, this string seems to be gaining strength. These 15 numbers would have been an excellent play to win a 5-number prize!

Maybe a "blow-off top" as they say in the stock market?

AllenB

I have Used Strings on Pick 3 and Pick 4. The Only Way that I could figure out how to monitory the strings was to create a Table Next to the Draws that included a column for each string and its components, then place a 1 in the cell of Game row in the String Column if one of the string components was in the Draw and 0 if Not. There are 120 3-Digit Strings so the Table is Big and a Memory Hog especially if the Table is using the Formula in every Cell of the Table. Converting the old Games to Values Helps but it is still a Big Block Depending on How far Back You Go. I have Steve's String Files but I have forgotten his process for monitoring the Strings.
Here are My Questions.
1. How Do You monitor the Strings?
2. The 237 String you are currently waiting to Break Has 15 Numbers that include one of the Stringers in Either Digit Position. Did you have to create a Table of these numbers for Each of the 120 Strings in your process?
3. When this String Breaks it means that 15/49 Numbers are not Drawn, reducing the Pool By 30%.
4. Do you use multiple Strings to further reduce the pool to a more playable size?

I am going to Revisit my Fantasy 5 Workbook using this Method. Your answers or other insight will be very helpful and much appreciated.

AllenB

Looks like not all strings are created equal. Looks like 0 must be eliminated when it is the First digit in a pair. For Fantasy 5 the largest number is 39. Strings with (all digits under 3 have 21 numbers, with 1 digit over 3 have 11 numbers, with 2 digits over 3 have 9 numbers and all digits over 3 have 3 numbers) on the String.
Is the pattern for your 649 Game similar?
This greatly reduces the table because I'm guessing the smaller strings break to often.
Am I on the Right Track?

Icewynd

AllenB,
I am creating my strings just with the last digits. So in my 6/49 lottery these would be 0 to 9, so this would be similar to the analysis for a digit lottery such as Pick 3 or 4. 0 still has a disadvantage as there are only 4 possible 0 numbers (10,20,30,40) compared to 5 possible for all the other numbers (1-9).

Icewynd

Here are My Questions.
1. How Do You monitor the Strings?
2. The 237 String you are currently waiting to Break Has 15 Numbers that include one of the Stringers in Either Digit Position. Did you have to create a Table of these numbers for Each of the 120 Strings in your process?
3. When this String Breaks it means that 15/49 Numbers are not Drawn, reducing the Pool By 30%.
4. Do you use multiple Strings to further reduce the pool to a more playable size?

1. I monitor the strings using an excel spreadsheet that counts the hits and skips for each of the 120 possible 3 digit strings. I use a lookup table to see how often the longest-running string has broken at its current run length.
2. What I do is use last digits only, which means I have only 3 last digits for the string rather than 15 numbers. I use an =IF(OR statements to sort out if any of the 3 string members hit.
3. Yes!
4. I haven't used multiple strings. I usually look at the dominant string (i.e. the one that has been running the longest) and the string that has been missing the longest. These missing strings usually come back into play quite quickly (i.e. 2-4 draws).

AllenB

I rode this idea pretty hard for Pick 3, 4 and a little for the right Digit of 5. With Steve's stuff most of the work was done already so I created workbooks that mined his data for Pick 3. I love Strings. They are the tail of the Random Comet.
For Pick 5/39 Strings carry variable quantities of combinations with them depending on the criteria in your table. For example String 1,2,5 can carry 25 numbers each of which includes one of the 5 right digits. 1,2,3 carries 32; 1,2,4 carries 25; 1,4,5 carries 18; 4,5,7 carries 12.
I have extracted the break/runs for each String. With this process you eliminate all of the numbers carried on the broken String with greater reductions in the pool.
Thanks for sparking my interest in Strings again.

AllenB

This leads me to consider the idea of "personal" strings, made up of numbers using different criteria.
Move over Pick 3, Time to get back to the big money.

Icewynd

I rode this idea pretty hard for Pick 3, 4 and a little for the right Digit of 5. With Steve's stuff most of the work was done already so I created workbooks that mined his data for Pick 3. I love Strings. They are the tail of the Random Comet.
For Pick 5/39 Strings carry variable quantities of combinations with them depending on the criteria in your table. For example String 1,2,5 can carry 25 numbers each of which includes one of the 5 right digits. 1,2,3 carries 32; 1,2,4 carries 25; 1,4,5 carries 18; 4,5,7 carries 12.
I have extracted the break/runs for each String. With this process you eliminate all of the numbers carried on the broken String with greater reductions in the pool.

When you say 1,2,3 carries 32 of the 39 digits I assume you are talking about both digits in a number, not just last digits?

Thanks for sparking my interest in Strings again.
You're welcome! :thumb:

AllenB

Yes it includes all numbers that contain a stringer in either position
I am not sure if this is going to help yet. To many numbers for each string to carry.
Here's a thought. Is there a "Magic String"? Think of a String as a necklace that you build out of beads with numbers. You can include as many beads as you want. How Good will the Best Necklace be? How many necklaces should You wear? Does Fashion and good taste apply???man I got lost in that one.
I'm Going Shopping.

Icewynd

Hmm...I got a bit lost with the "necklace" analogy too. :)

I use a 3 digit string because it is manageable with 120 possible combinations. That is also the reason for using last digits. If I tried to create all 3 digit strings for the 49 numbers I would have to deal with 18,424 combinations.

That makes me think of a thread started by PAB about the longest out combinations of 3 numbers and how long it took them to fall. If I find it I'll post the link.

Icewynd

Just an update on this strategy.

The string of last digits 2,3,7 finally failed on October 29, 2016 with the draw 21-25-26-29-36-45(36) after hitting in 125 (!) consecutive draws. However, after skipping one game 2,3,7 then returned for the next 5 consecutive draws for a hit rate of 130/131 games.

Obviously my strategy was wrong here. The best way to play these strings is to play WITH the trend.

Sidebar