Excel Pet Hates.

PAB

There is quite a large number of members here that use Excel, whether they are hard core uses, use it on a daily basis for their work and occasionally at other times or are just occasional uses when the need arises.

Anyway, regardless of what extent you use Excel, I am sure there are aspects of it that drive you mad. This post is really just to find out what really annoys you about it.
I know there are several versions of Excel in use today, and if we believe Microsoft, the software just keeps getting better and better!!!

I will kick this off with one of the things I personally find most annoying.
It really annoys me that when you Right Click on a cell you want to Format, it does indeed open the Popup Box, but here's the thing, it opens it right up over the cell you are about to Format. In order for this NOT to happen, you first have to Left Click the cell, and then move to somewhere else on the screen and Right Click. This process involves TWO clicks of the mouse instead of ONE

Regards,
PAB
:wavey:

-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-
12:45, restate my assumptions.
(1) Mathematics is the language of nature.
(2) Everything around us can be represented and understood through numbers.
(3) If you graph the numbers of any system, patterns emerge. Therefore, there are patterns, everywhere in nature.

Icewynd

PAB said:
I will kick this off with one of the things I personally find most annoying.
It really annoys me that when you Right Click on a cell you want to Format, it does indeed open the Popup Box, but here's the thing, it opens it right up over the cell you are about to Format.

Oh yeah! What idiot set that one up? It drives me right around the bend!

PAB said:
In order for this NOT to happen, you first have to Left Click the cell, and then move to somewhere else on the screen and Right Click. This process involves TWO clicks of the mouse instead of ONE
Nice of you to provide an alternative -- even at 2 clicks, sometimes this is a better alternative than fighting to format a cell that you can't see. Thanks, PAB!

PAB

Well, I am surprised :erm: , I thought this would have attracted more interest. Perhaps everyone is happy with all aspects of Excel!

Regards,
PAB

-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-∏-
(3) If you graph the numbers of any system, patterns emerge. Therefore, there are patterns, everywhere in nature.

Frank

Okay, Is the bad timing of autosave and what it does to the clipboard that annoys me. You copy a range and are just about to paste it when the autosave dialog appears, and your copy is gone ! You have to start again. :confused:

PAB

Hi Frank,

Frank said:
Okay, it's the bad timing of autosave and what it does to the clipboard that annoys me. You copy a range and are just about to paste it when the autosave dialog appears, and your copy is gone! You have to start again. :confused:
Yes, I had forgotton about that one, only because it doesn't affect me now.
I too was annoyed with that so I turned it off. I now save as and when I want to, which is quite regularly I might add.

For anybody interested, you can either Reduce OR Increase the amount of time when it does AutoSave or turn it OFF completely. If you take the latter option I strongly suggest that you SAVE AT REGULAR INTERVALS to avoid loss of data if anything was to happen.

In Excel 2007, the parameters are in Excel Office Button, which is at the top left hand corner, then Excel Options, Save, and then Save WorkBooks.

I hope this helps!

Thanks again Frank.

Regards,
PAB

PAB

OK, I will carry this one forward with another one.

Some of my WorkBooks contain Many WorkSheets, and I like to have several WorkSheet Tabs viewable at the bottom of the screen (
just above the Ready in the bottom left hand corner ). This involves reducing the scroll left or right bar in the bottom right hand corner of the screen just above the Zoom Slider, which brings me to my next pet hate. How often do you go to scroll left or right and accidently hit the Zoom slider, and then have to reset it back to 100% before you carry on?

Well, the solution is easy!

Right Click between the Ready...Zoom Slider which will give you the Customize Status Bar Menu, then simply uncheck the Zoom Slider at the bottom of the Customize Status Bar Menu.

Sometimes Microsoft's idea of what they think the end user wants as defaults beats me :agree: .

Have fun!

Regards,
PAB

PAB

Just to add to my previous post.

I find it uneccessary to have the Zoom Slider present when just to the right of it is the Percentage anyway. If you wanted to change the zoom level all you need to do is to click the 100% to get the Zoom Popup Box and adjust it there, either with their standard settings or you own custom setting.

Regards,
PAB

Frank

Well I got stuck using Excel 2000 right up to 2012. So my next version was Excel 2010. It was quite a shock realising just how different it was. Everything hidden away under tabs, so I had to play 'hunt the named range box" or "wheres the switch windows button". Of course I know where they all are now after a year or so of practice and I've dragged my favourites up to the customised toolbar. Microsoft can't leave well enough alone, it has to be moved so you spend months finding stuff when the next version comes out. I suppose 12 years is too long to stick with one version, but I liked 2000, its my favourite version and I still use it on my old computer sometimes. The zoom slider is a novelty to me - no such problems in 2000.

Out of interest does anybody use the insert function wizard ? I've never used it, I write formulas by the seat of my pants ! :thumb:

PAB

Hi Frank,

Frank said:
Microsoft can't leave well enough alone, it has to be moved so you spend months finding stuff when the next version comes out. I suppose 12 years is too long to stick with one version, but I liked 2000, its my favourite version and I still use it on my old computer sometimes.
Only the powers to be at Microsoft know the reasons why unfortunately.
Don't they think we have enough to do during our day, without playing "hunt the whatever"?
They probably put all the programmers in a room for a week with loads of beer and wait until there are totally inebriated and then say to them, "Well what are we going to change and come up with in the new version then to screw everyone up?".

Cheers Microsoft.
:chug: :chug: :chug: :chug: :chug: :chug: :chug:

But, with reference to your post Frank, my Dad always said, "If it aint broke don't mend it", very good advice sometimes I might add.

Regards,
PAB

Icewynd

Just thought of another one...

If you have conditional formatting on a range and then you cut and paste while adding new data to your spreadsheet, Excel creates a new conditional formatting rule for the new rows. After a few weeks of adding new data you end up with a huge list of conditional formatting rules that really slow down the 'cut & paste' process.

Why doesn't Excel just expand the range of the rule to include the new rows?

The only way I have found to deal with this is to manually go in and delete the extra rules when things start to slow down. Anyone got a better way? :confused:

PAB

Hi Icewynd,

Icewynd said:
If you have conditional formatting on a range and then you cut and paste while adding new data to your spreadsheet, Excel creates a new conditional formatting rule for the new rows. After a few weeks of adding new data you end up with a huge list of conditional formatting rules that really slow down the 'cut & paste' process.

Why doesn't Excel just expand the range of the rule to include the new rows?

The only way I have found to deal with this is to manually go in and delete the extra rules when things start to slow down. Anyone got a better way?
Yes, that has always been the case unfortunately.
Although conditional formatting adjusts its lower and upper limits when increasing a range, adding to it, or when inserting or deleting, this is just tied to the current WorkSheet.
What I tend to do is because when you copy and paste from another WorkSheet within the same WorkBook, or from another WorkBook is to do what you do, and manually delete them.
When setting up conditional formatting I normally setup the upper limit a few rows past the last one anyway.
Mainly what I do though is to delete all the conditional formatting that applies to multiple rows or columns, but have exactly the same rules, and then edit the conditional formatting that is left and manually extend the data ranges rather than highlight and then setup new rules.

Regards,
PAB

Alexafjb

Graph Printing Issue (Solved)

Hello, Everyone

I've just spent the last few days banging the old noggin against the wall trying to figure out why, I could not get my printer to properly print out graphs.
I use Excel 2007, but I understand that 2010 also has the same issue. Of course Microsoft has not addressed the issue, correctly.
If you have an older laser printer (pre 2007) or an HP then you maybe able to relate to this!

Problem:
Microsoft Excel 2007 is not printing cell borders when you print your spreadsheets/graphs on an older printer.
Solution:
Under the Page Layout tab, change the Scaling to 99%, then print.

Simple! But, now I only have one hair left on my head!
:wow: :wow:

PAB

Hi Alexafjb,

Alexafjb said:
I've just spent the last few days banging the old noggin against the wall trying to figure out why, I could not get my printer to properly print out graphs.
If it is an HP then the defaults set is probably the Factory Defaults.
You can actually setup your own Settings / Defaults in Printer Shortcuts, then you can choose that particular setting whenever you want to print graphs.

I hope this helps!

Regards,
PAB

Frank

Copy/paste a range into a larger range (uncleared of old data).

You copy a range of cells theat you intend to paste elsewhere. It happens to be a smaller data block than the data block at the destination range. You click on the top left hand corner cell of the destination and realise that if you paste , yes you will overwrite part of the existing range, but not all of it. So you would have half new stuff overlapping with undeleted old stuff.
So- You highlight the whole of the destination area and hit delete. Great - now you are clear to paste. No you are not -because Excel has also deleted the clipboard contents so you have to go back and copy it all again. :rolleyes:

PAB

Hi Frank,

Frank said:
Copy/paste a range into a larger range (uncleared of old data).

You copy a range of cells theat you intend to paste elsewhere. It happens to be a smaller data block than the data block at the destination range. You click on the top left hand corner cell of the destination and realise that if you paste , yes you will overwrite part of the existing range, but not all of it. So you would have half new stuff overlapping with undeleted old stuff.
So- You highlight the whole of the destination area and hit delete. Great - now you are clear to paste. No you are not -because Excel has also deleted the clipboard contents so you have to go back and copy it all again. :rolleyes:
I can see where you are coming from on this, I still get caught with this from time to time even after all the years I have being using Excel.
As far as I know there is no easy way to overcome this.
It is a shame that they don't introduce something into the paste that will give you the option to paste over existing Used Range like they do in VBA.

Regards,
PAB

Frank

Another clipboard based annoyance is when you've copied something, you realise there is insufficient room to paste it where you want it, so you attempt insert a new row (or column) to make room for it. You get that annoying error message saying copy and paste areas are not the same shape and size. :burnt: you have to ditch the clipboard and insert the row. :(

PAB

Hi Frank,

Frank said:
Another clipboard based annoyance is when you've copied something, you realise there is insufficient room to paste it where you want it, so you attempt insert a new row (or column) to make room for it. You get that annoying error message saying copy and paste areas are not the same shape and size. :burnt: you have to ditch the clipboard and insert the row. :(
I use the old fashioned way to Copy & Paste ( Ctrl-C & Ctrl-V ), but that is only relevant if it is pure data and not cells including formulas, for me personally anyway. When you think how many times Copy & Paste is used in a single minute Worlwide ( sorry, I don't have the statistics for that one ), that surely has got to have some sway?
There have been a couple of annoyances regarding Copy & Paste here and we are a small few in the entirety. You would have thought that Microsoft MUST have had MANY requests on this to incorporate additional methods or revise their existing methods.
When you think that Excel, but this also applies to other Microsoft applications, is so widely used, that with modern technology this should be a walk in the park for them.
I remember when they said that they would NOT be able to increase the size of an Excel SpreadSheet, but eventually, as if by magic, there it was. Perhaps peer pressure does have a butterfly effect after all.

Regards,
PAB

PAB

Another one that is VERY annoying is if you use Text To Columns and then close that SpreadSheet and open a new one and then use Copy & Paste to paste data, it remembers the Text To Columns and splits the data into multiple columns, VERY ANNOYING.
In order to prevent this you need to totally Exit Excel and re-open it.

Regards,
PAB

Sidebar