Am I in the wrong place?

unique1

Hi everybody, I've been searching and searching for other lottery winners to talk to for almost 2 years now....am I in the right place?:confused: If I'm not, could somebody PLEASE direct me to the right place?

LT

Administrator
Hi unique1,

Welcome to the bulletin board.
You are in the right place to exchange ideas and experiences with lottery players, enthusiasts, systems developers and both past and future winners :)

LT

unique1

Hi LT, thanks for responding. I've been checking out this board for a little while now, and I see a lot of hopefuls. I'm an actual winner who desperately needs some direction, eg. long lost family members and how to deal with them, (yes, they do exist), how to say "NO" and just basically keeping my chin up after the stock market took a dive and drowned a lot of my winnings. I would appreciate ANY advice given. Thanks a bunch..

LT

Administrator
unique1,

I am assuming by what you have said that you are a major jackpot winner who now is experiencing negative impacts as a result of the large windfall?
Many people on first impression would say that they wished for your problems.
However it is well documented that many large jackpot winners suffer from the results of what is supposed to be a great event. There are many cases that showcase the disastrous results that proceed a large lottery win. You have mentioned a few of them ... long lost parasitic family members showing up to share in the wealth, loss of investments via stock market decisions, no doubt from other parasitic investment advisors etc.
While I have not heard of a top tier prize jackpot winner on this board before ... unless someone is just not sharing the good news with us :) ... you will find people here who are not only diligent and talented lottery players but also people with good common sense and an understanding of human nature - both the good and the bad. I'm sure that many of the members here can provide helpful advice to you.

LT

unique1

parasitic family members....lol

:D Unfortunately, I've always been a sucker for people in need, I've never turned down a charity, pre or post $$, that is one reason I believe I've been blessed with winning the Super 7. I could write a whole story about my experiences, but to keep it short and to the point....I have not been able to enjoy any of the freedom that I thought I was going to get, people don't understand that they are not the only one's asking for money, and it does add up, very quickly (my husband and I have big families and 3 children of our own).

I would like to know what other people would do if they happened to win...say $1,000,000?

Last edited:
What I might do if I win a Million .

Unique1,

first let us hope that your situation improves a lot. If I win any big money I would help my parents, sister and my wife's family. But that depends on how much. For example 1 Million wouldn't be enough to take care of all of them, so the amount of help will be reduced.
I will never say yes to anyone asking money other than the above mentioned. And you have to be aggressive all the time and in life as well. For example at my work I always show my aggressive style and ppl fear me ( by not condoning their lazy atitude cause they are unionized workers).

As for financial advisors and the rest, I believe with this amount of money I wouldn't listen to anyone except the bank and personally I would put it in CIG despite the fact it's the lowest return!!

The bottom line for me is I would have to take care of my family ( Wife, daughter) then comes our respective parents and brothers and sisters. 10 Millions would be fantastic to help all the above.
But if it's only 1 Million then it's the wife and daughter only.
Never ever say yes all the time to ppl asking for money or help or even distant family.

Finally I would love to know how you won it...Was it a quick pick or different style of playing?
Regards.

ComboManiac

unique1

Hi Combo: We won on a Super 7 Quickpick, on Friday the 13th of all days. The ticket was bought accidentally on the wrong day! You know the commercial "meeting in my office....5 minutes" same scenario, different company, completely surreal.

I agree with you about the GIC's....I made the mistake of taking the advice of a not-so-good financial planner and bought stocks and mutual funds.....BIG MISTAKE, for now I hope.

ox

HELLO UNIQUE 1 MY SITUATION IT WAS DIFFERENT, BECAUSE I ONLY WON 2ND PRIZE FIRST TIME AFTER 3 YEARS 2ND PRIZE AGAIN ON 649...TOTALLING ALMOST $349,000. I WAITED PATIENTLY BEFORE COLLECTING IT JUST TO AVOID THE MEDIA(IN THOSE DAYS WINNING THE AMOUNT IS QUITE BIG AND LIGHTNING STRUCK TWICE)YES, THEY(MEDIA)ARE ALWAYS AROUND ASKING WHAT MY PLAN ETC...YES, LONG LOST RELATIVE CAME AROUND I KEPT DENYING THAT I WON SOMEHOW PEOPLE FOUND OUT...I TOLD THEM I WANT TO RETIRE COMFORTABLY ,THE HYPE DIED OUT.. SOME OF THEM DONT TALK TO ME ANYMORE, BUT YOU KNOW WHAT? I MADE A GOOD DECISION I INVESTED IT WISELY, NOW IM COMFORTABLE , HOUSE PAID, NOT WORKING (WIFE IS) TO SUSTAIN OUR DAY TO DAY LIVING, IM TAKING CARE OF MY THREE KIDS.......NOW!!! MYNEXT AIM IS TO WIN A BIG ONE SO MY WIFE CAN STAY HOME WITH US.FOR LOTTO FANS THAT ARE CURIOUS HOW I WON!....THE OLD FASHION PAPER AND PENCIL/PEN..BY JUST GATHERING ALL THE MOST FREQUENT NOS. HOT/COLD ETC...NOW THE BIG PLUS IS THIS SITE! (THANKS FOR LOTTO TUTOR)I LEARNED A LOT FROM THIS SITE. AS FOR YOU UNIQUE 1 GOD BLESS YOU FOR BEING GOOD TO PEOPLE, BUT IF YOU WIN AGAIN, THINK OF YOU/HUSBAND AND KIDS FIRST!!!

unique1

You stay home Ox????What a good man!

:) Nice to meet a winner!

My husband still works and I'm home with our kids, like you said to keep up with day to day living. I was once told that it's not YOU that changes, but the people around you. That is such a true statement. I need a course on how to just say "NO", but at the same time, my husband comes from a poor family (that's putting it mildly), so when they ask for help I take into consideration what the circumstance is, and it's hard for me to say no.

On the other hand, my family, who have everything they need but ask for money to pay regular bills and so on, I have little sympathy for them because they are middle class people with high class bills, keeping up with the jonses' per se.

So much to say, sometimes I need to rant because I don't understand why people are the way they are, and why I am the way I am. Just need an outside opinion.

Anyway, the best thing we did was pay off our house (we bought it 2 months earlier), and take my kids to DISNEYLAND!! :D

Last edited:
Hello Lotto Tutor,Hello Unique,

I have been monitoring lottotutor and the people who use this
forum and I am observing topics on all forums related and I
read unique's story and I was moved by it and the comments
made by others in this forum.

I won on a scratch ticket not too long ago and I solved that ppl
problem so easy,it wasn't a problem.I gave each member of my
family what I wanted them to have and that was that.

I did not concern myself with the wants and desires of anyone
who would not have done the same for me.I did not win this to
help them live-out their dreams and in actuality you are not
selfish because they did get something!

I did not ask for any of their ideas before I won and I don't want
them after I won either.If I blow it on investments then I did
what I wanted to do with my winnings.However,you better not
end up needing anyone,they're surely gonna kick you to the
curb and that may be from jealousy

Please do not think I don't love my family,they are precious to
me but they're also human too and like some humans,those
dreams can come alive in a moments notice.

You're gonna think I'm nuts but If I were to win a huge jackpot
anytime now,I wouldn't tell 'em until after I have given them
what I want them to have.That way,no one can get crazy.

lottoscorpio

I have always said to my family members that if I ever won a big Jackpot I would by them a lot of tickets... but forget about receiving money! I would donate a lot to researchers of cure to diseases such as like leukimia,cancer etc. and all these diseases before thinking of helping anyone financial security...I love my family , they love me and like the song says "All you need is love"and in the long run it might help them more that way...everyone knows someone that has been afflicted by one of these terrible diseases... :(

aaa_2500

hmmm...

I've only won a few lower prizes, but had a colleague who won a large prize. He tried to help those needy relatives etc, and bought a stake in a business.

When the bubble burst, and the economy downturned at the beginning of 2000, he was the one who needed help to keep his house(Bussiness gone, family broken and no job). The people he had helped were ok by then... Good jobs etc, and they told him "we sure have the money to help You, but it's not like we won in lotto or anything" And they couln't find the (little) money to help him.

Moral of the (true)story... These distant relatives feel entitled to the prize, because they are family, but they won't feel entitled to help You if the situation is reversed.

If they are in trouble, it is most likely because they overstretched their economy, spent too much of their earnings etc. If You pour money their way, they won't see the incredible generousity that You are displaying, but just say "whew, disaster avoided, I feel like spending some money".

Just a few thoughts from someone who has seen it firsthand.

Last edited:

momofone

Winning big, always brings out forgotten family and friends

I am not a big winner, just a small weekly one. But I myself know what its like to roll pennies for a loaf of bread. The change in my life is that I look at people more closely. Family and friends, if they need money for food, I will buy them boxes of food, if it is to pay bills, I will pay two months of bills for them. But, and I mean but, I have people who will con you, my son/daughter needs ????, I look at them and say then stop with the expencive living and buy it for them...Myself too I always will give to the people down and out, but not money, I will give food, pay some bills for them, or find them a place to settle for the night...BUT I very very rarely give out cash to anyone anymore...Sometimes you have to take a HARD look at people, even people you love..

Brad

What will YOU do if you win?

Some facts on lottery winners who win $1 million or more:

- 88 per cent put money in bank
- 75 per cent shared money with family or friends
- 61 per cent bought new car
- 58 per cent paid off debts
- 56 per cent took vacation
- 47 per cent donated to charity
- 37 per cent paid off mortgage
- 33 per cent bought new house
- 28 per cent paid for education for self/family
- seven per cent bought boat

from The Canadian Press, 2002...

By coincidence there was an article on my home page, this is part of it. I could reprint the whole thing, but it's fairly long. The alternative is to provide a link to my home page...I'm not sure if that is allowed...LT ?

Last edited:

garfield

hmmm....an old post.....
...but there are new users every day.....and they didn't seen it....

first of all....I would buy myself nice apartment....car....maybe small boat.....put some precentage in bank.....

...buy myself new pants.....man...I really need those.....:agree:

....and have 7 day PARTY...and 18 hours hollyday......just stuck in a K-hole again...just once again.....remember that old NOFX song....

c yas.... (and good luck or godspeed.....:lol: )

:p:

daleks

<<<some facts on lottery winners who win $1 million or more>>>88% + 75% + 61% +...................

that's a lot of percent, no wonder they end up in the poor house......on the other hand, a good beer need only be 4.1%, and lots of those fit into every single 100 dollar bill......sheesh

.......:beer: ................:beer: ....................................:beer:

Rebeckah

We all have lessons to master in this lifetime, and perhaps money management and learning to say no to other people may be yours unique1? I don't know. What I do know is that money is THE most loaded issue in everybody's life. People live without love, and could care less, but mess with their money and you got trouble. EVERYBODY has money in their lives.

I don't understand the thinking that a lotto win is frivolous money so you are obligated to share it with everybody you know. It's almost like others feel that you're not entitled to the money because you won it so easily, so you should give it to them. I guess it's that stupid work ethic of something only having value if it's obtained thru hard work? I'd rather have a happy, easy life any day.
:D :lol:

Rebeckah

There's lots of stories about winners lives who went all kittywampus after a win. I would guess that there's lots of stories about people who adjusted just fine as well. But we prob only hear about the tragedies. Remember that 20/20 special about the town of lotto winners in Texas? A big group of them won, but the special focused on the lady who died a year later and that guy who had paternity suit troubles and ran for mayor and ended up in jail, or something like that. Tragedy. Or is it that that's all I remember? :rolleyes:

Think about how many jackpot winners there are every week in the US alone. There's over 20 different jackpot lottos in the US drawing twice a week. You know there's AT LEAST one person somewhere winning a jackpot each week. So, (conservatively) that could be over 100 millionaires made thru the lotto each year. Pure speculation on my part, but it gets the mind thinking about what's really going on. wait....

Texas had 27 jackpot winners in 2002 alone. And that's just for the lotto. Most states also have a pick 5, a pick 4 and a pick3 game too.

Anybody know where I could get cumulative winning stats for the US? It'd be interesting to see how many people actually win in a year.

Rebeckah

And what will I do when I win?
Replace my *Minnesota rusting, Texas sun baking the paint off, permanently out of alignment* 1988 car. Air conditioning & a radio would be nice in my car again... :D

Move to New Mexico, get my Master of Art degree at U of NM, buy tons of land near Santa FE or Taos, perhaps open a gallery of my own in town. Build the 15+ room house I've been designing for 10 years. Have a house somewhere more tropical or/and in Europe as well. I had also thought about starting a business to save and restore lots of the old castles and palaces of Europe. That may just be a dream tho. hmmm,,, that's like 5 houses I've bought. Obviously, I'd be traveling ALOT. :D

oh yea, getting to see Steve & Eydie perform in Vegas is big on my list too! oh yea, find myself a handsome hunk of a partner to share good times with.... or 2 or 3 or 4... yea, an entourage is what I want, all good looking intelligent males

Sidebar